Lovelace Overview has reverted to default settings

I had modified the default dashboard and customized it the way I wanted it. I needed to reboot the server. After the reboot, HomeAssistant started before the NAS, and it entered recovery mode (or something like that) because there is this line in the configuration.yaml file:

homeassistant:
    allowlist_external_dirs:
      - '//media/Music/Rockabye Baby'

Since HA started before the NAS, this line caused the configuration to be invalid. Anyway, after the NAS was up and running, I rebooted HA. Once it booted, my overview dashboard reset back to the default dashboard that has basically all entities loaded by default.

I checked a recent backup and I have found the homeassistant/.storage/lovelace file. I just am not sure why the above caused this issue, and how to restore this file without overwriting a bunch of other stuff.

I seemed to have fixed the problem by copying the lovelace file from the backup to a network location that HA could access, then used the Terminal and SSH addon to copy and overwrite the file in HA. Then I rebooted the machine and my dashboard was back.

Would love to know why this happened and how to avoid it in the future.

Yep, it happened to me today too, seemingly randomly. The default dashboard has reverted to something I didn’t configure, and custom lovelace components loaded via HACS are unavailable, eg “Custom element doesn’t exist”

I was able to recover my custom dashboard from a few days ago backup, looking into increasing the frequency enough.

Super interestingly too, I have backups every ~8 hours on the HAOS VM in my control plane. Even in the backups from a few days ago, the dashboard is reverted and HACS components are unable to load…

I would love to know what more I can do to trace the source of the break and help produce some actionable data here.

Did you upgrade Core & Supervisor recently, and running lovelace-minimalist? If so, see if you can revert to a previous (pre May) version. It’s quite likely that this might be your issue:

Unfortunately, if that is your issue, that project seems relatively dead. I’m a n00b on this journey and only tried to get lovelace up and running (for the first time) the day I installed the updates :rofl:

Same issue here. I’ll be following this one. In my case it was this NWS severe weather alerting suggestion that stopped working after the update. I’ll be following this one!