Lutron Aurora can't bind to multiple bulbs or a group

…though it’s entirely possible I just don’t know what I’m doing. I’ve tried with HA 0.110.6 and 0.111.0.

Here’s my (simple?) goal: use the switch to control a pair of Zigbee bulbs.

1. I successfully added the switch to HA, no problem. I only see the power sensor, as others have reported. Don’t even see anything in the developer log if I listen for ‘zha_event’ and push the button, but maybe that’s ok?
  2. I can individually bind the aurora to one of the bulbs, but I can’t seem to individually bind the aurora with the other bulb. Button and the rotary knob appropriately will control that first bulb, but do nothing after I attempt to bind with the other bulb (after unbinding from the first). When the one bulb binds correctly, I’ll see the LED on the switch blink a few times. That has never happened with the second bulb, making me think it has never correctly bound to the other bulb.
  3. I’ve created a zha group with both bulbs in it, and then attempted to bind the group with the switch. Nothing happens. Never seen the blinking LED confirmation on the switch here, either.

I’ve factory reset the switch, removed it from HA and re-added it, to no avail.

Hardware: Lutron Aurora switch, HUSBZB-1, two of the EcoSmart dimmable bulbs from Home Depot.

Any suggestions before I toss the Aurora into a volcano? It would be a shame because it sure does look nice.

Have you had any luck with this? I just posted almost this same question before finding your post (sorry to mods) I’m basically where you are with this. I can bind to one bulb but not a group. However, when the Aurora is bound to a bulb I can get zha events sporadically. When not bound I cannot get any zha events to show (or i’d automate from them)

Nope, no luck at all. I tried lots of different things but never got any farther than my initial post.

Please let me know if you make any progress on it, as I’m still dying to use that Aurora dimmer.

Try asking on Discord. A lot of devs are on the zha channel there and might be able to assist.

If anyone is still interested, here’s a full write-up on this.

Thanks @kmclaughlin; this is interesting and it does work. However, I believe it uses node-red to link the dimmer with the bulbs, rather than Zigbee binding. I’d prefer to use Zigbee binding if possible so it doesn’t require a server intermediary.

1 Like

Have you found a solution to this? I’d also like to bind the dimmer with a group. I haven’t had luck binding a single bulb, either — is there a trick to making that possible? All devices in question are linked to a Conbee II using ZHA.

Update: I finally was able to bind to a few bulbs, but it seems to be limited to max 3. Most of my light groups have more than 3 bulbs, so I’m still looking for a way to bind to a group…

2 Likes