Lutron Caseta Interface

How would telnet be any different from ssh? Both can remote in. Does the pro hub offer something special over telnet that cannot be done via ssh? Perhaps a different user? Just trying to understand what telnet could provide that ssh would not.

Why are the docs on this lutron hub so hard to find?!

It’s not a matter of what CAN be done, it’s what Lutron has done to artificially limit the regular hub vs. the pro hub. I don’t think the ssh interface was ever intended to be used this way, but someone found the key and was able to get in and poke around to see what was available. Now that key is “in the wild” and used by projects like this.

Both hubs are exactly the same hardware. Firmware is the only difference.

The only way the smardbridge knows about the PICO remotes is if you add them to your bridge using the Lutron Apps. When you do this the Lutron App asks what device you want to control and associates the PICO remote controls to that device. At this point when you press buttons on the PICO remote the smartbridge acknowledges the button press and reports only the device state that the remote is controlling. I am sorry to say that using a PICO remote with a device that is not associated to the smart bridge will simply not work.

Ah this I did not know since there was absolutely no information about it on the internet that I could find.[quote=“gurumitts, post:63, topic:6229, full:true”]
The only way the smardbridge knows about the PICO remotes is if you add them to your bridge using the Lutron Apps. When you do this the Lutron App asks what device you want to control and associates the PICO remote controls to that device. At this point when you press buttons on the PICO remote the smartbridge acknowledges the button press and reports only the device state that the remote is controlling. I am sorry to say that using a PICO remote with a device that is not associated to the smart bridge will simply not work.
[/quote]

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for explaining that.

1 Like

This is working great for me so far – I copied the five files from the caseta-0.40 branch into my 0.46.1 HA installation. I have five dimmers, four switches, and a handful of Pico remotes. I’m going to test stability for a while and will report back.

I’m now using a four-button Pico remote to trigger actions for some Zigbee smart bulbs, and it’s perfect. Much better and more reliable than my homemade z-wave frankenbutton (arcade button wired to switch terminals on a magnetic door sensor and mounted on a wall plate).

1 Like

This is great news. Perhaps with some work there can be support for the regular and pro hub, with separate configurations. I am not familiar with the coding standards of this project (nor python for that matter) to know if the code would meet the standards to be merged into master. Of course it would need a few tweaks to get to that point to play nicely with the interface that is already in the release.

Just ordered a pro bridge and cancelled my yet to ship order of the standard bridge.

Nevermind got it working. Now to get the json file into a nice place for my docker.

So if anyone is using the Caseta code from jhn here are a few different automations that I am using, including the ability to change the brightness with the dimmer buttons on the pico remote. I am also using Caseta light states to turn zwave switches on and off. Hopefully this helps someone out.

1 Like

Wondering if there is anyway that we can get support for multiple Lutron hubs? The reason for multiple hubs is to increase range and capacity (50 device limit). Other solutions (like Homeseer) can support multiple Lutron hubs for these reasons. Any way we could get this support in HASS?

I’m not positive, but I think @jhn’s integration for the Pro version of the Lutron hub can do this. It is configured like this:

caseta:
  bridges:
    - host: [ip address of first bridge]
      devices:
        - id: 1
          type: switch
        - id: 3
          type: switch
    - host: [ip address of second bridge]
      devices:
        - id: 
          type:

etc.

And then each bridge requires its own json file named caseta_[ip address].json that contains the integration report exported from the Lutron app for the bridge.

Ah - thanks! Has this functionality already been merged into master?

Doesn’t look like it is… is the intention to replace ‘lutron_caseta’ with jhn’s ‘caseta’ eventually?

I’m not sure, but I would hope there are no plans for replacement. If anything, the improvements from the other branch should just get ported over. The current branch has some big advantages, such as support for non-Pro devices, and also not needing to export the json file.

Who wrote the code for the current branch? Wonder if multiple bridge support is possible with the current branch?

1 Like

Yes however I can program a pico remote on the pro hub to control anything. That is not in the master branch. While non pro functionality is important I’d much prefer to see the code merged and allow for regular and pro usage.

Same here. While I appreciate the advantages the version in master has, I personally want the capabilities available in @jhn’s version – direct Pico remote support and multiple bridges. There is no other reasonably affordable remote control on the market that can be used either handheld or integrated into a wall plate without unsightly bulges or weird hacks.

I don’t think there’s any plan or pull request for the Pro support, but I’d like there to be and I would support and assist @jhn if that would be helpful.

Upthread I said I’d test stability for a while and report back: well, it has been absolutely rock solid, and (unlike z-wave, for example) the Caseta system reacts practically instantly.

Having said all that, @Syco54645, thanks for posting your configuration for using the Pico up/down buttons – I had planned to implement pretty much exactly that but hadn’t done it yet, and now I’ll just build on your examples.

1 Like

@wixoff No problem. I found the configuration of everything to be a challenge because information was so scatted and figured it would help someone else out. I do not know python, nor do I know the code of home assistant but I would be more than willing to help @jhn get his code into the official interface. An simple config option could control if it uses a standard or pro hub.

@wixoff As you have probably seen there is also code to turn on z wave device with a caseta light in there. Unfortunately in my searching I do not think it will ever be possible to watch the state of an in wall dimmer switch, though I wish it were. Would make it faster to turn on the lights. I also generally dislike the speed of the fade in/out but it appears we can maybe control that at least.

What are the advantages of using the Pro hub over the standard hub as it relates to HASS compatibility?

I can use a Pico remote in my automations. That is really the big win at this point for me. I have switches that I have to walk through the room to turn on and with the pico remote I can control a z-wave/zigbee item.

Letting everyone know that the code from @jhn works fine in 0.48.0. Using it in the docker just fine.