Lutron Pico configuration example

Hi Guys and thanks for making this awesome code for HA.
I thought I was using the correct syntax but whenever I write the below in my configuration.yaml file:

lutron_caseta_pro:
    bridges:
      - host: 192.168.1.72
        mac: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
        default_transition_seconds: 0.25
        lights: [ 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8 ]
        sensor: [ 4 ]

I get the following error in the log:
Invalid config for [lutron_caseta_pro]: [lights] is an invalid option for [lutron_caseta_pro]. Check: lutron_caseta_pro->lutron_caseta_pro->bridges->0->lights. (See /config/configuration.yaml, line 21)
And just for kicks I did also try light instead and get the same error.
Any ideas how to solve this issue?
Many thanks in advance.
:pray:

You do not need to declare lights or sensors. Everything will be treated as a light unless it is declared a switch, fan or cover and the sensors require no configuration. See the Configuration section in the readme for details.

1 Like

Thanks for getting back in touch with me. I do appreciate it.
I did read lights don’t need to be configured. I just thought since most in HA has to be explicitly set and light entity is stated, I would follow that.
In any event, I took it out when it wasn’t working yesterday and all is fine.
Thanks again for the quick response and the great integration.
:pray:

Thank you for sharing this! I was able to get Pico sensors working thanks to this!

Thank you for writing this!!

Question on this if I already have Lutron Caseta devices setup in my home assistant via the home assistant plugin but want my pico remotes to show up as sensors will installing this duplicate all my devices?

Hi Guy,

I’ve been using this code, but noticed that if I have the lights on a color (other than white), brightening or dimming turns the lights white. Any suggestions?

I think this started when I changed color_interlock to true in ESPHome.

Thank you!

Does Lurton and the integration provide on, off events. In my use case I want to be able to hit the off on a light that is already off and have that trigger an automation. My idea is in the Living room I have 4 lights all controlled by a Lurton Switch. If I press off twice on one switch I want all the other lights to turn off.

Is there any advantage to using this custom component over the stock Lutron Caseta one? Both provide Pico support, but the stock one presents the Picos as triggers instead of sensors.

The custom component is for the Pro version of the bridges and only uses Telnet for the integration. It has a limitation that occupancy sensors are not available as separate events, but it is otherwise similar in functionality.

The integration provided in HA is based on reverse engineering of the mobile app and uses a different HTTP interface. It was recently upgraded to also allow for the use of Telnet operating in parallel on the Pro models to capture Pico events which are otherwise not available through HTTP.

As mentioned, the way in which Pico button presses are made available in HA is also different so the automation triggers will look different.

Thank you. Is either one better or faster? I’m using the Stock one and am noticing some delay after using the pico remote. I’m curious if I’d fare better with this component, but am not looking forward to recreating my automations unless necesary.

They are both using the Telnet interface for Pico remote events, so any delay is likely to be the same.

Are you trying to trigger another light based on a Pico event? In a Lutron system this would be done with scenes and Pico remotes with scene buttons.

1 Like

Are you using the Pico remote to control a Lutron switch/dimmer? If so, that is likely the cause of the delay. It seems to be a limitation on Lutron’s telnet implementation. If you use the remote to control non-lutron lights it’s instant for me. If I need the Pico to control a Lutron dimmer, I set it up in the Lutron app.

Interesting, yes. I’m using the Pico to trigger a HomeAssitant scene which includes the Lutron dimmer. Can I trigger both a Lutron Scene and also catch it in HomeAssistant for the other devices?

Yes, Lutron related events are captured independently of the events captured by HA. So you can have your pico linked to a Lutron dimmer/scene via the Lutron app and also use the event generated in HA to set off separate HA automations.

1 Like

Quick follow-up, is there any way to disable lutron function from the center button? There does not appear to be a way in the caseta app.

I have this same issue. Find a solution? There is a plug in on Homebridge (LEAP) that deals with this. Haven’t found solution in Home Assistant and I’m trying to 100% move to HA

can you please tell me how you are using the pico’s buttons as triggers to an automation? I have homeworks qs with several picos installed, and they won’t allow me to add automations

also, all my Lutron devices show up on HA as unknown model, so i tried using some of the available blueprints but they all appears to look for devices correctly identified as PJ***

can you help?

I am using this blueprint: Lutron Caseta Pico (Core Integration Only)

How does your pico remotes show up on HA ?

Mine are like this: