Make a 2.4Ghz RF remote/receiver smart (TV lift)

Hi guys!

We recently got a new bed with a TV lift built in. This TV lift comes with a remote with just 2 buttons, up and down. You have to hold them until it is fully expanded or collapsed.

The remote is a Limoss HC-312 remote. Manual can be found here: https://www.swisssense.nl/media/wysiwyg/pdf/2017-03-12_Manual_TV_lift_multi_language.pdf.
The great thing is, is that the back of the remote says that it uses 2.4Ghz as its frequency for the communication, I suppose.

My idea was, since this sounds doable, to make this lift smart. I know how to make automations to rise the TV if I turn it on for example. However, I was looking for a device that can clone the remote’s functionality and works with Home Assistant.

Is anyone familiar with such devices and is this ‘easy’ to do?

Thanks in advance for helping me picking the right device!

1 Like

But what protocol does it use?

Wifi, bluetooth, zigbee, proprietary rf?

The easiest solution would be to purchase a second remote and control that by shorting the buttons. Adding door sensors to the lift so you know when it is open or closed would mean you have feedback that can be used in the template cover integration rather than using automated “hope for the best” timing.

Sadly I am not so sure. It just says ‘Operating frequency: 2.4Ghz’ on the receiver and the remote.

EDIT:

According to documents from the FCC it looks like proprietary RF: https://fccid.io/2AH9H-HC312

Agree with Tom.
Just buy a new one and use a ESP8266 to short the buttons on it.
You can use magnets and reed switches to know the end positions.

It’s probably far easier and faster than trying to grab the codes and going that route.
You might even be able to power the remote with the same power supply that the ESP uses so you don’t have to worry about the batteries.

TV lifts are pretty simple devices. Put the esp device and a couple of relays directly in the box. Use esphome. Control it with ha.

Thanks for the advice! I tried with a Broadlink RM Pro first, but it doesn’t support 2.4Ghz RF. So it seems the only option (even after some Google’ing) is soldering the ESP on a new remote.

Will see how that goes as I have never done it before. Will probably be able to find some tutorials on this, hopefully haha :slight_smile:

1 Like

There are versions of ESP chips with pins, that way you could do most of the work with just dupont wires.
It’s only to the remote you have to solder.

Just do some practice runs first on stuff you have or find and you’ll be fine.

AS nick pointed out you may be able to use the ESP in the lift itself instead.

But more costly if you fail :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup haha. That’s why a remote would be safer :sweat_smile: