Make Automations More Readable By Breaking Out automations.yaml

Yes.

You need to add the custom card resource config to the “lovelace:” entry as noted above.

You can split it like this:

lovelace:
  mode: yaml
  resources: !include lovelace_resources.yaml

Then just add the resources entries in that file.

@finity Crack Three… OMG!!! The bases are loaded!!! Batter up! Is it going to be a Grand Slam?
I now have it configured so I have each of the tabs just like the UI. The title in ui-lovelace.yaml still appears a Overview… but that is pretty minor.

title: dashboard
views:
  - !include '/config/include/dashboard/fitbit.yaml'
  - !include '/config/include/dashboard/system_status.yaml'
  - !include '/config/include/dashboard/ambient_weather.yaml'

t
The only thing I have left is the resources

Currently I have two custom cards I use. Both were added by HACS

I have searched for where the resources are stored,
/config/www/community/history-explorer-card/
/config/www/community/lovelace-auto-entites/
but there are no yaml files inside those directories, there are .js and .js.gz files
So… what would I do in that case? And now… bonus round… is it possible to have more than one YAML dashboards? and what did you mean earlier when you said

My common used layouts for cards are a mixture of
panel, vertical-stack, horizontal-stack, and grid. And I often nest them as well. I have successfully broke the 600+ line yaml into 11 files breaking them at the " - " leaving the dash at the !include.
what raises my eyebrows is your earlier comment not having to use layout… and I have never heard of show-x. Is there something more I am missing. In closing… My direct comment to you… OMG I definitely already had my day made! I am absolutely amazed; additionally, I have searched the web and documentation for this and came up completely empty. I am indebted, how can I repay you?

using yaml mode I don’t think HACS has the ability to automatically add the resources to your config (at least i have never used that feature if it can) so you will need to add the resources manually.

as noted above you will need to put your resources in the “lovelace:” section of configuration.yaml.

normally you would put them inline in that section:

lovelace:
  resources:
    - url: /hacsfiles/atomic-calendar-revive/atomic-calendar-revive.js
      type: module
    - url: /hacsfiles/bar-card/bar-card.js
    - url: /hacsfiles/battery-state-card/battery-state-card.js
    - url: /hacsfiles/binary-control-button-row/binary-control-button-row.js
    - url: /hacsfiles/button-card/button-card.js
etc

but you can also split them away using include:

lovelace:
  resources: !include ui_lovelace_resources.yaml

again note the use of “_” instead of “-” since this is not a dashboard.

And you can call that file/location whatever you want just like any other !include file.

then in the ui_lovelace_resources.yaml file you put…:

- url: /hacsfiles/atomic-calendar-revive/atomic-calendar-revive.js
  - url: /hacsfiles/bar-card/bar-card.js
  - url: /hacsfiles/battery-state-card/battery-state-card.js
  - url: /hacsfiles/binary-control-button-row/binary-control-button-row.js
  - url: /hacsfiles/button-card/button-card.js
etc

yes.

just create them in the 'lovelace:" section:

lovelace:
  resources: !include ui_lovelace_resources.yaml
  dashboards:
    lovelace-map: # Needs to contain a hyphen (-)
      filename: lovelace_map_dash.yaml
      title: Map
      icon: mdi:map
      show_in_sidebar: true
      require_admin: false
    lovelace-history: # Needs to contain a hyphen (-)
      filename: lovelace_history_explorer_dash.yaml
      title: History Explorer
      require_admin: false

not really anything that is important.

I was just trying to clarify (and apparently failing miserably) that there was no “magic” in using 'vertical-layout card or any of the “show_x” ’ entries I used in that example. But you co0uld use any config you wanted to use. but you already figured that out out so you can ignore that comment.

same for “show_x”. I was referring to all of the “input_boolean.show_…” entities I was using in my example entities card.

there is nothing special about them to you so again just ignore that comment.

Yeah, unfortunately all of the yaml lovelace config stuff isn’t well documented (if at all) since they want everybody to use the UI for everything. :roll_eyes:

Before lovelace everything was done in yaml (using groups!) and when lovelace was introduced yaml mode was still popular (and still is with me…and apparently you as well now :laughing:) since the UI was kind of buggy.

just pay it forward and help others

but thanks for the kind words.

1 Like

@finity
In the beginning, you said you could make my day…
:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: OMG :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: It is beyond all expectations!!!
I am ready to take control back! Oh how I dislike the UI, let me count the reasons! Your added examples will allow me to complete my notes since no documentation is available.
I thinks I have it all… How to link the .js resources; All of the configuration options for each (multiple) dashboard i.e. mode:, filename:, title:, icon:, show_in_sidebar:, require_admin:
Thank you again!!!

1 Like