Make dumb doorbell smart

I would like to make a standard doorbell smart. My doorbell looks like this:

Do you have any experiences or projects to make the bell smart? I have Z-Wave and Zigbee in my home. I’m open to all ideas :smiley:

I made my pull cord and bell door bel smart, I put a Samsung door open closed sensor on the bell as it has a vibration sensor, then recorded the sound of the bell and got the automation to play the bell sound when it picked up the vibration, it then plays all over the house and in the garden, since then I have added to get Google to show me the front door on the same trigger. Not sure if this helps but it might point you in the right direction.

Ah, really nice. That’s a good point. Maybe the Aqara Vibration Sensor could also work then :thinking:

Worth a try. Let me know how you get on

Any magnetic door sensor next to the chime solenoid - just senses the coil, not a door magnet.

I did something similar, although it is an entry-phone.

My doorbell works with 12V AC so I just attached a 12V relay parallel to the bell which switches a Hue Wall Switch. I think it could also work with an Aqara water sensor or a modified door sensor or any sensor which reacts when the relay is closing. You can also use a Shelly or Sonoff switch but then you need additional power.