Make home assistant core modular

Allot of times i came across the fact that i update the core and things get updated that worked fine for me. I think everyone reading this experienced multiple time when updating the core more then once things stopped working which worked fine before. So i thought why is everything always pushed in the core? Why not make them modular. So instead of updating everything all the time give people the choice to update integrations or leave them be if people dont want to install.

If it were up to me i would say make core the same way the add-on store works. If you have an integration installed give a notification that there is an update for that integration and let people decide if they want to install or ignore this update. or maybe even ignore forever. You could even do core updates and update all integrations that are not used by the user and the ones that are installed with a question to update them. also with the ablity just like add-ons to be able to revert back to an old version.

Ask yourself what is the need to update a motion-blinds integration if all your blinds work perfectly? But at the moment when you want a fix for your sonos speakers there is no really other way then to be forced to update. And yes you can add these integrations into custom components but these are bound to not work eventually when things change in the base.

Another nice thing about seperate integration updates would be that fixes for bugs in 1 integration can be fix in hours and released between core updates.

I really love the way add-ons work with updating or leaving them be. It would be great to see integrations do the same.

Duplicate.

1 Like