Making humidifier smart

Hello,
i have a regular humidifier without remote or any smart connection so I want to convert it to a smart one.

There is one button on the device, which regulates ON/OFF and has two output power levels in between.

Here are the photos of a PCB where button is located

This is main PCB

I had two ideas of doing this.
First one is bypassing the button completely so whenever I plug it into the power it immediatelly starts without pressing anything (i dont need different output volumes, 100% all the time is enough). Then I would just add a smart plug between device and mains.

Second is soldering a relay between button and PCB so I can replicate button presses.

I’m not very exepriencing with pcb logic so I would need help with detailed instructions for simplest solution.

In the end I want to integrate it with HA offcourse but that is one part I know how to do :slight_smile:

Thank you

1 Like

I have a dehumidifier that automatically turns on when power is on so I use a smart plug to turn it on and off with it linked to the govee humidity sensor via automation, this is the simplest way to get devices like this to be “smart” when you don’t need to manage other functions of them and just want to run at 100% when turned on.

Not always a need to overcomplicate things when you don’t need to.

Definitely! However, this humidifier doesn’t turn automatically ON when plugged to main, I must press a button first. I wish that would be a case.

What type of button is it that turns it on? capactive or just push?

It’s a simple push button like this one.

located inside this red circle

Thanks for your help

You use a switchbot or fingerbot to toggle it on and off, I have one for my HDMI switch and one for the light switch on my rangehood in the kitchen.

Cool devices. However this is a really nicely designed humidifier in oval shape and this kind of devices would make it ugly. I would like to do all the modifications internally.

I might use this ones for some other project…

Then you would be looking at trying to work in an ESP32 to tie into the button with some soldered wires when you know what closes the circuit for it.

I was thinking of using something like this Shelly Uni, however, I don’t know what is the internal voltage of the humidifier circuit. if it’s between 12-24v this would work but I can’t find the voltage specified anywhere on the PCB or I don’t know how to read it.
One way is to have a meter and inspect it. I should probably find an electrician who is more knowledable then me. I was hoping somebody would give me a specific guides where to solder and what kind of devices would suit me so I can do it myself.

Same idea, which ever you feel is the best option for you.

You need a multimeter on the DC voltage setting (start at the highest range setting and work down if it is not auto-ranging).

You need to measure across these two white wires:

NOTE: even though the voltage across these two wires is likely to be very low (to drive the logic circuit) the whole thing could be floating at mains potential. This has the risk of killing you if you touch it. It is really not the sort of project you want to take on if you do not know what you are doing.

Having said that here’s how I control my dehumidifier, lots more buttons and LEDs than yours:

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/smartifying-a-dehumidifier-with-esphome/308994

Also this was written before the days of button entities.

Thank you Tom. I will go in that direction. Will try to order Shelly 1 Mini, power it with the mains and then just bypass the button. That way I don’t even have to know the voltage of the system. Probably Shelly 1 Mini is too much for this case, but it’s the easiest thing for me.