Making the Hue Motion sensor more responsive in Home Assistant

well, as a matter of fact, I tried it again only a couple of months ago, because I still have some (unsupported) Zigbee smart switches I had hoped to connect. Unfortunately they were not recognized. But other than that, I tested some TRADFRI sensors and lights. So didn’t go full length to configure the (extended) Hue setup I have here, with all rules and settings for the motion sensors.

I found the Z2M interface too complex, and the Conbee interface too limited. And that’s not even talking connecting all of that into the HA interface.

Must admit the boatload of issues that are reported in posts on this forum didn’t make we want to switch my fully reliable production system to what I saw as an unfinished product (yet).

Will try again I some months because from what I had understood, the support for ‘unsupported’ devices will have improved by then, and the integrations (both for the Phoscon and the Z2M) were at a jump in development?

Would like to experience what you say, but dread the loss of my native apps…

Interesting. I haven’t touched MQTT before, I saw the complexity of it and stayed away lol and personally couldn’t see why people rave about it so much but that’s probably down to my lack of experience in it lol.
Only time I use Conbee interface is to OTA update IKEA devices, check the network map or add devices. After that everything I do is from the integration in HA and NodeRed. I do agree with you that Phoscon is limited, but no more so than Hues own app. Hence doing everything direct in HA and NR

In my experience any delay in motion sensors in every brand i have tested has been related to poor wireless connectivity. For Eve and Fibaro those are BLE devices so you will need a AppleTV or HomePod or iPad within 30 feet of the device at all times. For hue the devices zigbee. Each device needs to be within 30 feet of the other and at least one of them no more than 30 feet from the bridge. Don’t forget walls, doors, windows, microwaves, all interfere with BLE communications and 30 feet may be too far.

In my environment i settled on the hue motion detector because its uses the zigbee and its response time is the best out of EVE, Fibaro and Hue. EVE and Fibaro have anywhere from instant to 3 seconds and up. Walking through a dark room for 3 seconds will end up in a stubbed toe. The hue motion Sensor triggers the automation every time instantly.

My environment consists of 3 HomePods and 3 AppleTV’s to distribute BLE communications.
I use Hoobs/HomeBridge to make non compliance devices compatible with HomeKit. All automations are done in the Home app and i experience no delays.

A common misconception i see people talk about is wireless issues. WIFI is not BLE is not zigbee they are different technologies and protocols and are not interchangeable.

When you refer to “HomeKit” in this post, are you referring to the “HomeKit Integration” or the “Home Kit Controller” Integration. I am still unclear of the difference between the two, even after reading thru the description several times.

Thanks!

Now I’m not 100% sure about this but my take is that the HomeKit controller acts as a HomeKit bridge that allows you to connect Homekit ready devices with HA. A homekit bridge otherwise is like an Apple TV, Homepod etc so that integration mimics that functionality.

The Homekit integration on the other hand is for Homekit to access entities from HA.

Homekit integration > Pushes HA entities to Homekit
Homekit controller integration > Pulls Homekit entities to HA

It’s kinda confusing naming even though they make sense.

Just out of curiosity, does the hue motion sensor require the hue hub or can it be added to hassio without it?

You need some Zigbee controller / gateway. This can be the hue hub or some other like the Conbee II stick for example.

I use a CC2531 controller and that works fine. The only issue is updating when necessary.

1 Like

Guys, quick question. Thinking of getting one of these. I have a hue bridge so will this ‘just work’ out of the box for home assistant? Including its light and temperature sensors?

*** my apologies, the Hue integration documentation clearly states that it is supported ***

Yes, it will “just work” with the Hue integration. Very easy to integrate. Please note that with Hue, however, HA is polling every 5 seconds, so there is not an “instant” notification of motion or light or whatever, it is delayed up to 5 seconds. Otherwise, they work perfectly.

FYI - this changed in 2021.6

• The Hue integration now supports push updates! Blazing fast response times if you are using that platform.

I would love to get that working, but for me, I updated to the latest HA and the polling is still slow at 5 seconds, I can’t find a place to change it. Any advice would certainly help me! I love how instant the Wyzes are but the Hues are so easily available and use standard AAA batteries instead of a huge coin cell like the Wyzes.

This is the HA version I’m running:

Host Operating System Home Assistant OS 6.2
Update Channel stable
Supervisor Version supervisor-2021.09.0

Still slow…

@jwhowa Do you have the custom integrations loaded from HACS? Or using the native Hue integration? If the native Hue integration, might be as simple as pulling the power from Hue Bridge, wait 10 seconds and plug it back in?

1 Like

Neither of the above two versions are indicative of the Home Assistant Core version. It is the Core version that needs to be updated to at least 2021.6 for the new native Hue Integration that uses push updates instead of polling.

I just double checked mine, and the updates are still instantaneous.

Well alright! Don’t you just love it when an update solves a problem you’ve been trying to work around? :slight_smile: I checked, and while I had many things up to date, I was a rev back on core! Installed, rebooted, and I can confirm, the Hue Motion sensors are now detected in HA in less than a second. THANKS EVERYONE WHO MADE THAT HAPPEN! Doing the happy dance now.

3 Likes