Manual vs Automation?

Is there a way to tell the difference between an automation and a manual trigger? For example, I have a fan that changes based on dark sky temperature, and 80% of that time that works, but sometimes I might run hot or cold and want a manual setting to override the automation.

You could have an automation also set an input_binary, and if they don’t match you know your in manual mode.

What is input_binary? I didn’t see that in the list of components?

The easiest way to do this is to include the fan automation on your front end, perhaps in a group with the fan itself. That way, to override, you simply turn off the automation.

You can easily get much more fancy, and for example create a script that turns off the automation for a predefined or customizable period of time, but you’ll have to figure out what specifically you want first. :slight_smile:

It’s an input boolean you’re looking for.

See this post for an example of how you would use it.

1 Like

Thanks I will take a look and see what I can do. Thanks for the help and advice!

@tc23 how’d it go?

I got some of the automations to work by using the input_boolean, but some of the other fan automations (arrival and departure) i can’t get to work. Just have to keep plugging away!

If you can describe in detail what you want I can take a crack at writing the automation

Not sure if I need it anymore (at least in current form). Just found out we won our bid for a new house! But in case anyone needs something similar, what I was doing was setting the fan speeds throughout the house based in the Dark Sky temperature and would turn off the fans when we left and on when we arrived. The problem was WAF, as sometimes she would adjust the fan speed manually only to have it reset a minute or two later when there was a change to the Dark Sky temperature state. But then if I used input_boolean to turn off the automation, I couldn’t get it to turn back on for the departure and arrival automations