MariaDB, infuxDB and Grafana on remote machine, need some help to set it up

Hey guys,
I am trying to move my database from my HA machine to different one.

So far I’ve been successful to set up an ubuntu server, docker, portainer, and a mariaDB/phpmyadmin which I connected to my HA machine and all the data is now stored there.

I am a little confused as to what to do now I understand that my end result is to visualize stuff in Grafana, then pull back the graphs to HA.

Should I connect grafana directly to mariadb? or should i set up an instance of influxdb in between?
Would the influxdb connect to HA or to mariadb?

I am a little confused as to what my next step should be.
Could someone clear it up for me?

I should add that I’m not comfortable with the sql commands described here, so if there is a user friendly way to set this up, I would prefer it.

Thank you!

Install influxdb and grafana on the remote machine. As you are using docker, you could follow my guide here. You then configure HA to send the data (and which entities etc. to include) to influxdb with the influxdb integration. Grafana connects to influxdb and then you can get the graphs from grafana in Home Assistant.

Thanks!
I managed to get it to work following this, although outdated, it worked with some tweaking.

Ill let it gather data a couple of days and see how it goes.

BTW, that’s a great Github page you have set up. Great stuff!
out of topic: those capacitive sensors are placed on the mattress, under the sheet right? dont they just move around?

1 Like

They are placed between the mattress and the slates. However, I need to tune the values very often for an accurate result, that’s why I want to either create an automation that adjusts it accordingly or think of another solution. Unfortunately it’s not prio 1 at the moment as you can see here

So they are under the mattress? I didn’t know they worked this way.
I was personally thinking of applying conductive tape on top of the mattress, 4 different sets covering the 4 corners for two person recognition. Then change the sets according to the orientation of the mattress (we’re supposed to rotate it every 3 months or something?)

Yes, they are under the mattress. I think I could also optimize the sensors with putting a book or something similar between the two alu sheets instead of cardboard. There are also some people using load cells under each corner of the bed.

Heh, 4 loadcells along with their control board were delivered yesterday, so i will go this way first, then check the capacitive stuff :slight_smile:

I just realized you were using double foil sheets, so its a “pressure sensor”, that’s why i was surprised it works through the mattress :slight_smile:
Above i was considering using the original capability of the capacitive sensor through the sheet.

It’s not a pressure sensor, it’s still a capacitive sensor. Here’s the original guide I used, which explains it in detail.

Yeah, by bringing two capacitive sensor together, separated by a piece of paper you are essentially creating a pressure sensor :slight_smile:

"Voila. You have made your first DIY capacitive pressure mat! "

1 Like

Ah ok, didn’t know that. I didn’t check all the details to be honest, juat gave it a try as I had the party laying around at home.