Master HA instance with multiple slaves

Are you publishing your slave HA at port 8123 and it works to log in via browser at the same address?

Yes. It is on 8123.

Ok. I got it working…So:

By default connection is not secure. I had to add to my config and it is working.

secure: true 

duckdns components is enabled and is also working.

Just in case it helps anyone, I had to add webhooks_api: in configuration.yaml on the remote host. So far its working like a champ for my zha network entities. Is there anyway to devices? I would like to maintain my automation’s on the master instance, none of my remote buttons are showing up(guessing this is normal) Considering creating binary sensors on the remote to monitor on the master, anyone have any thoughts?

With remotes I’d rather work with events instead of entities with states. There’s a chance that there are already events fired on the machine that has the remotes when a button is pressed.

Either way its going to be some work to get them all up and running. Just so much easier in the UI to build it right off the device. I’ll put my big boy pants on and get to work lol

May I ask why you need this? Do you have a separate instance for devices that are too far away from the main instance?

Basically it boils down to 1 the need to learn something new, 2 my zigbee2mqtt install was really lagging more and more on my main instance, the cc2351 would randomly drop out requiring disconnection and reinsertion, then restarting the zigbee2mqtt add-on. I had a raspbee and RPI4 laying around so why not. Any time there was a problem with the lights the WAF went way down. Nothing more frustrating then the lights not coming on from the switch in the dark of early morning when you need to get ready for work.

But then you could install DeCONZ on the Pi and connect your Master instance to it through the network. That’s how I do it to use a ConBee stick with two instances, one for development/testing and one for production.

Yeah I had pure deconz before I went to zigbee2mqtt, I have a few devices that deconz was not supporting so I just opted to switch, figured I would try something new…again

i tried i am getting the following error

this is my config

remote_homeassistant:
  instances:
  - host: 192.xxxxxxxxxxx
    port: 8123
    secure: true
    verify_ssl: false
    access_token: xxxx from remote pi
    entity_prefix: "instance02_"

also one more thing on remote system i am using latest version of hassio and on master i am using 0.96
TIA

IGNORE GOT IT TO WORKING AFTER SETTING SECURE:FALSE

installation and configuration lis easy like one, two, three. For now, every thing works fine. But some improvements would be nice. Like when i trigger switch on my main HA from main HA interface, in log i can see “plug %plugname% powered on by user %username%” (or so, i use russian interface). But if i triggered plug on remote HA using main HA interface, in log i can see only “plug %plugname% powered on”.

I can’t for the life of me get it to work. I have this code in the configuration file of the master:

remote_homeassistant:
  instances:
  - host: 192.168.1.101
    port: 8123
    secure: false
    entity_prefix: "hytte_pi_"

I have no security what so ever, if somebody manages to get into my cabin network this would be the least of my worries. :wink: In the master I have a sensor named “hytte pi remote connection 192 168 1 101 8123” with this info:

port
secure
false
verify ssl
true
entity prefix
hytte_pi_

So it seems like there’s contact, but there are no new devices surfacing in the master. Does anybody have any idea what the problem can be? Is there something I need to activate on the slave?

You should not have to activate anything. Check in the logs if you can see anything there.

OK, this was embarassing… :woozy_face: I didn’t even think about checking the log on the master since the sensor said that I was connected! Turns out that it will connect but not populate without an access token or an API password, which the log stated in no uncertain terms. So I created a token and now I’m both connected and populated. Thanks a lot for the heads-up! :+1:

1 Like

Right, that sounds reasonable in some sense. I guess the API doesn’t accept null authentication which is good from a security perspective. The component should however not allow this configuration in the first place. One of access key or password should be required. I would appreciate if you opened an issue about it over at GitHub so I can fix it. Just refer to this post and tag me. Thanks! :+1:

Det er herved gjort. Igjen takk for hjelpen, hilsen Tor i Norge. :grin:

1 Like

All isn’t well, it seems. I can’t get some of my entities to show. This is what parts of my GUI looks like on the master:

I do have other automations and switches locally, so it’s not a lack of domains there. Any idea what it can be? I have also added this code to my configuration.yaml:

lock:
light:

Anything in the log this time?

I have this on the slave. But I didn’t think that was related, I thought it was an error I have in a long automation for a Heat it! thermostate that I have never been able to track down (the thermostat automation works as it should even with the error):

Error rendering data template: UndefinedError: ‘dict object’ has no attribute ‘payload’
16:46 helpers/service.py (ERROR) - meldingen oppstod først ved 10:54 og vist 83 ganger

Or do you mean on the master? The logging doesn’t work there for some reason. Edit: Yes, it does. It just hasn’t logged any errors, sorry. OK, got one now, on reboot:

2020-11-18 16:52:26 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] You are using a custom integration for remote_homeassistant which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you experience issues with Home Assistant.