I assume the device. We’re asking the Matter server to send a message to the device and get the reply back. I don’t know how/why HA would interject in that. Of course I could be wrong.
Then we have a bigger mystery. That’s exactly what I use. I only have two and they’re both in use, so I’m not really inclined to go mucking with them especially if I won’t be able to re-bind them if that error is coming from a newer version of HA or HA’s Matter server. I can say that Inovelli Whites worked fine with the script using HA that was current at the time that I published that script.
This thread is where I was hacking my way through binding in general. That was using chip-tool which wraps the raw commands for easier use. That let me know roughly the steps required. Later I found this information which let me tickle the websocket in just the right way. But I don’t know where @lboue figured out those details.