Measuring GAS Levels in LPG bottles

I came across this little device

It has an app for Mobiles but i was wondering if there was a way to get it into HA?

I live in an area where we use 8.5Kg GAS bottles for Cooking because we live in a cyclone area where we can be without electricity for up to 2-3 days if there is a big one.
This sounds like a great tool for checking when a bottle is getting low and have a replacement ready. An automation could easily alert us if it below a predetermined percentage.

Any thoughts

There are 3 ways to check the remaining level(s) by weight, pressure and ultra sonic(s)

A simple pressure sensor (link below) in esphome even with 0 skills in soldering/programming can be nice start(er) into DIY stuff

alternate you could do a search for BT gas level meter(S) and home assistant in your search engine of choice might be that someone did the work for you.

Please don’t suggest putting a pressure sensor into an lpg line. You’ll need a professional.

Many people use weight sensors for this.

I do not see any reason why not to suggest this, providing options is what is asked for.

The smartsense thing works with ultrasonic and already states to have possible issues with thick metal (larger bottles) but you could construct one and see if that works, e.g. Ali has this which works with esphome

Module de capteur ultrasonique US 100 DC 2.4V 5V avec plage de Compensation de température, Distance 450cm pour Arduino | AliExpress

1 Like

My comment regarding the pressure sensor was for @vso1

@nickrout I come from the country that named your country → dutch → “zeeland” we might think different so where does the postive part come in … and where do you indicate that you read the whole post ?

Us dutchies tend to say “there are no challanges only solutions” and along that line instead of “pro” there is nobody denying your right to consult or hire a certified person to do the install if needed or have them check your own work.

If you have no experiance in searching the web, soldering or programming than Tank Utility - Home Assistant or your SOL

If you are scared to test with gass want to test “harmless” you can use a CO2 cilinder (sodastream device) while testing you can drink sparkly water either with or without added flavours