Message Malformed error when trying to use WeatherFlow Lightning Count as a trigger

I want to trigger an announcement whenever my Weatherflow weather station detects a lightning strike. I can use the menu in Automations to select Lightning Count value changes as the trigger for my automation but when I try to save it I get an error that says: Message malformed: must contain at least one of below, above. Below and above would apply if I was triggering on “Lightning average distance changes” but there is no way in the drop-down to enter those values for "Lightning Count value changes. Am I missing something obvious?

Please follow the guidance in Community Guidelines: How to Ask a Good Question. There are over 2000 integrations and tens of thousands of devices that work with Home Assistant. There are often forum members online who have no experience with the exact devices or integration you need help with, but who could provide solutions if you provide the necessary details about the entities involved and the automation configuration you are trying to use.

Yes.
Trigger on state change, NOT numeric state change.

OK but “Lightning Count value changes” is one of the triggers available in the menu so I thought there must be a way to use it?

OK so I have tested it, I’ve never added automations that way before, I always just go into the automation editor and create one from scratch.

Anyway - to do what you are trying to do, do what you did
but then use the 3 dot menu to switch to YAML mode. And add the line.

So when you first go in to YAML editor - you will see something like this:

trigger:
  - type: value
    platform: device
    device_id: cc3afca17538b517f515fa1d9cb893f4
    entity_id: 67685196234c62ffd063224a5ff2f324
    domain: sensor

Simply add the line below domain: sensor

trigger:
  - type: value
    platform: device
    device_id: cc3afca17538b517f515fa1d9cb893f4
    entity_id: 67685196234c62ffd063224a5ff2f324
    domain: sensor
    above: 0
1 Like

I tested your solution and that did get rid of the error. Thank you for looking at this for me!

1 Like