Midea branded AC’s with ESPhome (no cloud)

This is possible, however I would add an IR LED to the dongle instead of sending IR commands from another device, way easier since you don’t have to configure all the IR codes corresponding to a current temperature.

This is a section out of one of my dongles, I use the dongle designed by Sergey Dudanov with a wire connected from the dongle to the ACs IR receiver.

sensor:
  - platform: homeassistant
    entity_id: sensor.hkr_temperature
    id: zbtemp
    internal: true
    filters:
      - throttle: 10s
      - heartbeat: 2min           
      - debounce: 1s
    on_value:
      midea_ac.follow_me:
        temperature: !lambda "return x;"
        beeper: false    
1 Like

Has anybody tried the new wireless adapter from Midea? 1PCS New For Midea Air Conditioner WIFI Module Assembly M5Q10-C Network Module | eBay

Hi all,

I have a Midea A/C and bought a USB WiFi module to controle it through the MSartHome application (former MideaAir). Now I Googled about integrating it in HomeAssistant and I saw that v0.8.1 was just released with better app support (Release v0.8.1 · nbogojevic/homeassistant-midea-air-appliances-lan · GitHub)

Now I’ve succesfully got my Midea HVAC split unit into HomeAssistant, the only problem is I can’t get it turned on and off…

When added it comes with only 1 sensor and 2 entities.

• climate.airco_devicename
  • switch.airco_devicename_beep
  • sensor.airco_devicename_outside_temprature

So, I’ve added the climate.airco_devicename into my dashboard but I can not get it to turn on or off… As the “beep” thing is a switch I’d reckon that would do the job but when I call the beep option I can hear a beep on the device but the display is not turning on nor the device is active. When I move the slider to change temprature the device beeps so it’s reacting to input from HA but it’s not turning the AC on.

When I tap the switch button I also get an error in my frontend “Can’t call sensor/turn_off Service not found”

Anybody who can help me out here?

Just came to the conclusion that when I turn on the A/C with the remote and then try to change the state in HA it turns itself off… I’m flabberguested…

This thread is about the ESPHome Midea AC component, so I don’t think someone can help you out here.

I’d open an issue on the developers GitHub page of the component you are using.

1 Like

I think this thread suits better: Mac Zhou’s cloud solution:

(have you tried that one?)

1 Like

I did not, I will try it in this thread, many thanks :slight_smile:

MacZhou is also on the Telegram channel:

1. What? Picture please. I have this dongle. Would like to replicate what you did here.
  2. I would love to do some of those midea_ac actions but do not understand the syntax of ESP. Is this saying, when a value is found, turn on follow_me with the value just received?

I would like to use a custom stick as described, is there any one who sell it as a package so I don’t need to flash it myself?

Living in The Netherlands if that make a difference :slight_smile:

" 1. What? Picture please. I have this dongle. Would like to replicate what you did here."
iot-uni-dongle

@EvertJob, I am also from the Netherlands and can arrange this for you, DM me if you are interested.

@hwmonkey If you have the same dongle there are instructions on how to wire the dongle to your AC on the following page:

If you need an example configuration feel free to ask :wink:

Hi, I have two Midea mini split units working with the ESP-01s and the adapter module. Everything is working fine but there’s an issue with setting the temperature to 16°C (60°F), it bounce back to 18°C. Is anyone else having this issue?

climate:
  - platform: midea
    name: "Master Room"    
    period:  2s                 
    timeout: 4s             
    num_attempts: 3      
    autoconf: true            
    beeper: true              
    visual:
      min_temperature: 17 °C
      max_temperature: 30 °C
      temperature_step: 1 °C

Could it be that the lowest possible temperature is 18?
When you disconnect the esp, what temperature range you can use with IR remote?

With the remote and the Midea App you can set the temperature down to 16. With espHome I can set 16 if I set the target temp to 17 in home assistant. I tried changing the min_temperature to 16 in the visual section but it has the same behavior.

I’m so excited to do this thank you for all the work!!! I have a possibly dumb question, I have a Mr Cool diy 12k and I’m wondering if I can use an esp32 instead of an esp-01 since I have a few extra 32s. Would it be more trouble then it’s worth? Will I still need a logic level converter?

Should be fine, esp32 is basically a newer and better version of the esp8266….

and yes, you’d still need the level shifter,
Esp’s are 3,3volt while AC is 5v.
Chance is it would work, but it could also damage the AC, so i wouldn’t take the risk :wink:

1 Like

I’ll check mine I’m getting the same thing!!!

@8bitbrett taking the support conversion here…
Can you post the logs from esp module?

Thank you! It was a bad adapter so It works now, although now I’m trying to add the IR transmitter. I soldered it in directly and it seems that’s not the right way of doing it according to some pictures, is there a place I can see how it needs to be soldered?