Midea branded AC’s with ESPhome (no cloud)

:rofl:

Does it mean just a small hammer, and all fits?

Nope regular pushing works…

Can anybody tell/show the wiring scheme for this? I have already burned one, so I’m trying not to repeat the magic

@tmsaavedra you have to provide a bit more info…
wiring what to what and why???

I put reply on the post but it no made the quote, sorry.

The help I need is about conecting the SWLF-01 to the programmer to flash it, I flashed it via OTA but can’t find it anywhere, the config is correct since it’s the same as other one I used on another dongle.

Hmm…can’t really help here, should be a mix of the wiring I showed in the 1st topic and the picture provided by manufacturer

But, using gpio4/5 instead (i guess)
Note you need to keep the ‘flash’ button pushed while powering up to get into flashing mode (in contradiction of my esp01 that requires ‘IO0’ and ‘EN’)

Thanks anyway @aceindy , I sent a pm to @iamvlanone, lets see if he can help based on what he did on his reply above ( this )

1 Like

Hi, i have a problem setting follow me feature in my Midea AC with dongle.

I have soldered dongle with board with 1 wire. Button, swing seems working right. I can’t handle the follow me feature. It seems i’m missing something.

my config in esphome

esphome:
  name: kaisai
  platform: ESP8266
  board: esp12e

wifi:
  ssid: !secret wifi_ssid
  password: !secret wifi_password
  use_address: kaisai.local
  manual_ip:
    static_ip: 192.168.0.19
    gateway: 192.168.0.1
    subnet: 255.255.255.0
    dns1: 1.1.1.1
    dns2: 8.8.8.8

ap:
    ssid: "midea-open-dongle"
    password: "123456789"

captive_portal:

# Enable Home Assistant API
api:

ota:

# Disable logging over UART (required)
logger:
  baud_rate: 0

# UART settings for Midea dongle (required)
uart:
  tx_pin: 1
  rx_pin: 3
  baud_rate: 9600

# Main settings
climate:
  - platform: midea
    name: "Kaisai AC"
    period: 1s  
    timeout: 2s
    num_attempts: 3
    autoconf: true              
    beeper: false               
    visual:                      
      min_temperature: 17 °C     
      max_temperature: 30 °C     
      temperature_step: 1 °C     
    outdoor_temperature:        
      name: Temp na zewnątrz

remote_transmitter:
  pin: GPIO13
  carrier_duty_percent: 100%

sensor:
  - platform: homeassistant
    id: follow_me_sensor
    entity_id: sensor.salon_ble_temperatura
    filters:
      - throttle: 10s
      - heartbeat: 2min       
      - debounce: 1s
    on_value:
      midea_ac.follow_me:
        temperature: !lambda "return x;"
        beeper: false
  - platform: wifi_signal
    name: Kaisai AC RSSI
    update_interval: 60s

button:
  - platform: template
    name: Display Toggle
    icon: mdi:theme-light-dark
    on_press:
      midea_ac.display_toggle:
    name: Swing Step
    icon: mdi:tailwind
    on_press:
      midea_ac.swing_step:

switch:
    name: Beeper
    icon: mdi:volume-source
    restore_state: true
    optimistic: true
    turn_on_action:
      midea_ac.beeper_on:
    turn_off_action:
      midea_ac.beeper_off:

any ideas? What Am i missing?

Hi @Stormhand, did you managed to control the unit with Modbus protocol? I have a Clivet heatpump Air and i would like to try to control it with the same method. I own this unit: Clivet Sphera Evo 2.0 and as you, i found the complete table of parameters in the instruction manual. I haven’t bought anything yet. I hope that you can give me some suggestions

Hi @cash18 i just received the module but havent tested it yet. I have to solve the problem how to pull a cable from an external building where the pump controller is mounted. Otherwise i cant test it.

Hello again @aceindy and everyone else, regarding the SLWF-01 subject ( this ) I asked the seller and they sent me photos and this information:

" You asked: Hello, I bought one piece of these, updated via OTA and I cannot see it anywhere, the configuration is the same that I have used on another dongle (with different name and IP). Can you share or explain how I can connect it via FTDI to flash it?
We answer: Unfortunately, this is a known problem. We ship fully functional devices, sometimes our customers update them via OTA and they stop working. I think this is a problem on the esphome side. I sended you a email and attached a picture because we can’t add pictures here. "

Hope it helps someone else, I havent tried flashing the dongle yet but I guess that will not have any problem

Update from Taras (smartlightme) :

“Don’t forget to hold the FLH button and then press the RES button to put the module into firmware flashing mode”

Update: just followed the instructions and the problem was easily solved.

Hi all,

Is the consensus that we’re SOL if we have Midea systems that predate the wifi dongle USB port? Mine are from circa 2016 so no wifi, and I can barely find anything that acknowledges their existence. My house has these units:

MEHU-24AVD2
MEHU-18AiD2
MEHU-12AiD2

I’m hesitant to use an IR system and I would much prefer to use something with two way communication, but I fear that might be my lot in life with these units.

Thanks!

Hello everyone…

I go crazy…
I try to get my ac started via automation but i always get that the service is unknown error…

My automation code is this:

alias: Test climate
description: Turn on when...
trigger:
  - platform: time
    at: "13:13:00"
condition: []
action:
  - service: bed_room_ac.turn_on
    data: {}
  - service: climate.set_hvac_mode
    data:
      hvac_mode: heat
    target:
      device_id: 29db89185fda53e7e9425b9a7e403882
mode: queued
max: 10

The bed_room_ac is selected from the gui…so it should be known…
Any ideas?
Here the error message:

The automation "Test climate" (`automation.test_climate` ) has an action that calls an unknown service: `bed_room_ac.turn_on` .

Where do these services determined?
And does anyone have a working setup with ac automation that i copy cat for testing?
Thx alot

you forgot to tell ha which device to target for
service bed_room_ac.turn_on :wink:

alias: New Automation
description: test
trigger:
  - platform: time
    at: "19:57:00"
condition: []
action:
  - service: climate.set_temperature
    data:
      temperature: 18
      hvac_mode: heat
    target:
      device_id: 27f30bb7dc1090ba0aa4217e4c1ec025
  - service: climate.turn_on
    data: {}
    target:
      device_id: 27f30bb7dc1090ba0aa4217e4c1ec025
mode: single

Tip: check your automation traces😉

Hello…

Thx for your answer…i finally found why it never wanted to work.
the webui always adds the not needed

action:
-->  - service: bed_room_ac.turn_on
-->    data: {}
  - service: climate.set_hvac_mode
    data:

into the code…
it works when i remove the with → marked lines…
Must be a bug in the webui…but was driving me crazy
Have now my frost safe setting working…
Start when my rooms reach 15C…
Now i try to get the AC to turn off as soon the set 18C is reached…is that somehow manageable so that it does NOT interfere with when i do warm up the room by manual turning the AC on?

Thx for any thought…
And besides that…can i actually turn on the “follow me” function via esphome code in the dongle itself so that it is the default? i mean right now it will be the remote control, but later on i am planning to use the Xiaomi temp/humidity sensors to do the job…
thx for any thought

Hello again…
Back at the ac project and need some intel…maybe someone here does know more.
I now have the xiaomi twmp/humidity sensor in wvery room and would like to use those values as base for the room temp shown in the ac card in hass and as the follow me temp.
I saw kuchar’s reply some up, mentioning similar question…
So does anyone know if follow me is actually accessible via the usb dongle or just via remote and as kuchar mentioned…is there any soldering possible to bypass this limitation if possible?
Any help is highly appreciated…

The follow me is only available when the esp module is either equipped with IR transmitter , or wired directly to the IR receiver.

See Sending and receiving IR remote control commands in dudanov’s iot dongle regarding the follow-me options.

Hi Jakob!

Are you still planning on publish your project? I have a similir control unit and I’m trying to communicate using a MAX-485 module but whenever I connect the MAX-485 to the control unit’s HA/HB ports then the unit displays an error and restarts itself (even if I just connect MAX-485 without any other wires than A/B).

Thank you

Which terminals are using? XYE or H1/H2.

There is no H1/H2 in my control unit but I guess they are equivalent to my controller’s HA/HB ports. I bought a USB to RS485 adapter to try to read some value. When it arrives I’ll post the results.

Edit: I also contacted a Midea reseller in my country to ask if they can share any documentation about their Modbus communications