Migrated to windows now have connection issues

Ask a many questions as you like, you are helping me.

No searching the url doesn’t work even on the host machine I have to search homeassistant.local:8123

1 Like

OK I think we are getting closer then. I am not too familiar with how homeassistant.local gets converted to a network ip address.

Does that same ping command work on the host? What is the output of ipconfig on the host?

Do you mean ping the IP of the pc the vm is running on?

I mean on the PC the VM is running on, run
ipconfig
ping 192.168.1.212

I wonder if the VM ip address is different than what you think it is. What OS is running on the VM?

I get

What OS on the VM? If a Linux based OS what is the result of running, on the VM,

ipconfig -a

Some success. After thinking about your last comment I looked and had create the virtual machine in windows 7 for some reason.
I have started again this time using linux. Now I can access HA from the IP address and from other devices on the network but I still can’t get my mqtt devices to connect

1 Like

Is your MQTT Broker on the same VM?

Yes its Mosquitto running in HA on the virtual machine

1 Like

Do the mosquitto logs provide any clue? I have only used MQTT briefly for testing.

Are you using the addon from the supervisor for the boker? I may be able to text since I am using zwavejs2mqtt for my Z-Wave nut anm currently using websockets instead of MQTT.

Ok oddly the 2 tasmota devices the I have changed the mqtt config on are now connected. This is confirmed in the tasmota console and Mosquito logs but still don’t work and show as unavailable in lovelace

Do the mosquitto logs show HA connecting?

This is the log

192.168.1.139 and 192.168.1.120 are the 2 mqtt devices

So the devices are all “talking” to the broker. I believe HA needs to :subscribe: to the feeds from the devices.

Under Configuration → Integrations you should have installed MQTT.

yes it was added through the ADD on store

Here is something odd. One of the devices is my RF bridge which monitors my rf sensors. One of these is a motion sensor which when the state changes to on (motion detected) triggers an automation. Now this automation is running when motion is detected which means HA must be seeing the sensors but they show as unavailable in lovelace.

What you show here is the IP address of the virtual network card on the host…
and that is NOT the Ip adres of the network card on the virtual machine…

Actually you cannot find the IP-address of the virtual machine using the host…it must be done on the virtual machine…

1 Like

you can check the ip address by:

• find MAC address of the virtual machine network card ( it is somewhere in virtual box, config of virtual machine network card)
  • check dhcp lease table in router and find the ip address belonging to the mac (assuming it did get an ip from router)

Or

• open command prompt and type arp -a, it will show all known mac addresses on your network

You should really read this thread thoroughly

and probably you’ll figure it out :wink:

virtualbox brings up a console. Log into it and type

ip addr|grep 192

This assumes you have a 192.168.x.x private address space. Of not search (grep) for your address space.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am currently away from home but will be back at it at the weekend