Migrating from Zooz 700 to Zooz 800 Z-Wave USB stick

The backup and restore option is the preferred method. It only takes 2 minutes max to backup and restore. Shifting the controller is just a work around.

Iā€™ve been hearing that since I bought my ZAC93 nine months ago. Itā€™s been hurry up and wait. Iā€™m gonna make backups and do the controller shift method and stop waiting personally.

I seeā€¦
I did the shift today without waiting. The new srick came with 7.18.1 firmware and hearing about freezing issues with 7.19.x I didnā€™t decide to update.

Had some issues during the shift (shifting dinā€™t work at the first try so I had to restore the old stick and try again, then had the same story on the new stick, then again on the old one during the process of setting the controller ID to 1), but after few attempts it seems that everything works.

Luckily NVM backup worked on the new stick, as I heard that firmware 7.18.x had issues with that (which was solved in 7.19.x which introduced stick freezing :rofl::rofl:)

I am actually trying to do the shift method today. Currently just running through the process with extra test dongles I have and running into issues as well. Shifts not completing successfully, as well as needing to disconnect/reconnect a controller to get it to actually reset. I noticed my test ZST39 is 7.19.x, whereas the test ZST10-700 is 7.18.x; not sure if thatā€™s causing some issues. Trying again now with my new ZAC93 (which appears to be on 7.18.x) and a USB-TTL. For whatever reason, I canā€™t get any OTW updates to work in SS4 with gbl files from Zooz, I get some 0x18 error every time.

I am following this video as a basic guide of the process. One thing I thought was strange I noticed when comparing my testing to this video is both his controllers are called ā€œPC Controllerā€ in Simplicity Studio, whereas I am seeing ā€œPC Controllerā€ for my ZST10-700 but seeing my 800 series controllers labels as ā€œS2 Gatewayā€ in SS4. Not sure if that matters, but seems strange.

EDIT: Well it took quite a few tries. And I gave up on the ZST39 and went straight to my ZAC93. Connected my ZAC93 post migration back to my HA host and it took a while, but my ZWave network is functioning again as normal (minus one S2 device that is showing dead now for some reason). Still better than manually excluding and including 128 devices (several of which require a ladder to reach).

Is this still the best way to do this or has someone figured out an easier way? Also, does anyone know if the Silicon Labs software for Mac can do this? On the Zooz support site it says you need a PC which I donā€™t have.

The Mac version is the exact same software. Yes this is the best way. I have multiple controllers with different firmwares. I even tried migrating between the 700 with FW 7.18.3 and the 800 with 7.19.3 and I bricked my new 800 controller. At first you couldnā€™t even. So if it doesnā€™t migrate between the newer firmware I doubt it will migrate between the older firmware of other models.

Have you personally used PC Controller on Mac? AFAIK itā€™s only available for Windows, and have not seen any news that this has changed.

Simplicity Studio is available for all platforms, but that is mostly a glorified installer for other applications and SDKs, and not every application is available for all platforms.

1 Like

I have NOT used it on Mac. Its not available on Mac Sorry got confused. I keep forgetting that the PC controller software is only available for Windows. I always install it using Simplicity Studio which has a Mac installer.

Is there a way to upgrade to 9.9? I am fully up to date on HA/Zwave and canā€™t get to js-ui: 9.9.0, and js: 12.4.4.

I seem to be at: 9.8.3 / 12.4.3

I am using the standalone version of Z-Wave JS UI for Windows. I downloaded the exe file and double clicked on it to run it. Releases Ā· zwave-js/zwave-js-ui Ā· GitHub

Ah! Ok, well your link made it obvious that HAā€™s plugin is only 1 minor release behind. So Ill likely just wait a bit and hope for an upgrade soon. Thanks

1 Like

Looks like the add-on update just came through. I had an update today and now my versions show 9.9.0 and 12.4.4

1 Like

Same here!. Well that wasnt a long wait. Guess im upgrading this week!.

1 Like

So do I understand the process correctly now that Zwave-JS is fixed?

Backup NVM on Zooz 700 Stick
Swap 700 stick for Zooz 800 stick
Select 800 stick in Zwave-JS
Restore NVM
Enjoy new 800 stick

Does the 700 stick firmware still need to be updated to 7.19x firmware to match the 800 stick, or is that solved too?

Yes your process is correct. I used FW 7.18.3 on my 700 and FW 7.19.3 on my 800. I was able backup my 800 and restore it to my 700. I also was able to backup my 700 and restore to my 800.

2 Likes

Just ran through it and it worked flawlessly. Thanks everyone here, and thanks zwave-js devs for making the process painless.

1 Like

Worked perfectly for me too!

1 Like

Hi! I tried this from a Silicon Labs UZB-7 (700 series) to Zooz 800 (EU) stick on 12.4.4 / 9.9.0 and got this error:

2024-02-23 14:49:14.568 INFO Z-WAVE: Calling api restoreNVM with args: [
  <Buffer 01 00 9a b2 01 00 00 d0 fe ff ff 0f ff ff ff ff ff ff ff 5f 0a 33 00 a8 00 00 00 ff f3 33 00 88 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ... 49102 more bytes>,
  null,
  [length]: 2
]
2024-02-23 14:49:14.611 INFO Z-WAVE: The target NVM has an unsupported format, cannot restore 700-series NVM onto it! (ZW0280) restoreNVM undefined

Should it not work between different vendors? Should I check the ā€œSkip compatibility checkā€?

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure. Thatā€™s a question for the devs. You can ask questions here. Issues Ā· zwave-js/node-zwave-js Ā· GitHub

I tried to upgrade the firmware on my Zooz 700 and it bricked. Ordered a new Zooz 800. Anyway to rebuild the network or do I have to start all over? If so how do I start that process.