Migrating home assistant database from sqlite to mariadb.. ONLY if you are VERY familiar with Database administration

Qabout1: What’s a HSD?
sorry thats indeed a typo, it must be homeassistant.db

Qabout2: How to create a database manually?
i updated the tutorial

Qabout3: you ment the red ones when writing orange?
i updated the tutorial, it clearly shows all keys what need to be deleted but in the screenshot the red key was selected.

Qabout4: don’t get it whats a dump_database
thats the name i used for the tutorial database name, i updated the tutorial and change the name and made clear what is it.

if i have time i maybe can make a step by step video, but its a lot of work.

2 Likes

Everything fine, won’t need a video at all. And yes summing up my luckless attempts to get things migrated wasn’t work at all, but eating up time like hell.
And since your hints from the past days/weeks did bring me most closest to the finishing line it was a bit strange since I got stuck at the starting grid (point 1) :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for you effort in making it more readable/understandable.

Thanks for that super howto, one question regarding step 8 & 9:
In some tables there aren’t the “created” row. so, it is important that all tables have a created row or it is important that the columns are equal?
In my case, there is no “created” row in the events table homeassistant_test:

therefore I don’t create one in the homeassistant db, right?

EDIT: it works without the created row, so I assume, that only the rows between the 2 db have to be equal.
Thanks for your Guide, that was the only one which helped in my case :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply.

I’m glad i could help, for me everything still working on 3 servers.

About the CREATED row is only needed to be inserted if its missing in the new created database.
Just compare the old and new and its ok, it doesn’t have to be in every table :slight_smile:

1 Like

I recommand all people who have very less knowledge about the migration to MARIADB, just don’t do it!.
See what the developers have to say at the 2023.4 release party.

Here is the video at the correct timestamp

2 Likes

I have captured the above information regarding the recommendations to not use mysql / mariadb unless you KNOW what you are doing as a database administrator to the beginning post for this topic.

1 Like

anybody moved back to sqlite after 2023.4 improvements?

wondering the same if anyone switched back to SQLite.
Is it worth it if we have a good working setup with mariadb right now?
I don’t need external access to the database… I just want the best performance.

Yes I switched back and succeeded. If it’s worth, is up to you.
The HA developers recommend using SQLite as the DB and made some really spectacular improvements on the performance.
See my ‘manual’ (no guarantee):

I switched back to SQlite as well:

1. Finished - I was in the process of migrating during the announcement of 2023.4 - the migration to MariaDB.
  2. Created a full backup of HA with the new migrated MariaDB.
  3. Restored a previous day old full back up with SQlite 2023.3
  4. Updated to the announced HA 2023.4 with SQLite Turbo :wink:
  5. Still working with the updated SQLite, sailing very smooth.

I my experience the new 2023.4 SQLite is working really great, very snappy and light weighted. I realize this is not a scientifically approach to comparing DB’s.

All together a great revert. Moving on…

Great update HA Team.

Hello,
are there any news or update about this topic ?
I tried to migrate (SQLite → MariaDB) following these notes but with core 2023.5 it seems that doesn’t work.
I’m going crazy because it would be very useful for me to have one steady database shared between a couple of homeassistant nodes (a sort of cluster, let’s say, only one node working at time, the second node only for redundancy/manteinance).

Thank you so much, appreciate the help!
Had to delete the database and igoner duplicate keys to get my energy data to transfer

I’m having issues on converting to Mariadb. I have an empty database ‘homeassisant’.

When I try to run sqlite3mysql:

Command:

sqlite3mysql --sqlite-file /config/home-assistant_v2.db --mysql-database homeassistant --mysql-host 192.168.1.x --mysql-user peter --mysql-password 'SECRET' --debug

Response:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/bin/sqlite3mysql”, line 8, in
sys.exit(cli())
File “/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/click/core.py”, line 1130, in call
return self.main(*args, **kwargs)
File “/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/click/core.py”, line 1055, in main
rv = self.invoke(ctx)
File “/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/click/core.py”, line 1404, in invoke
return ctx.invoke(self.callback, **ctx.params)
File “/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/click/core.py”, line 760, in invoke
return __callback(*args, **kwargs)
File “/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlite3_to_mysql/cli.py”, line 204, in cli
converter.transfer()
File “/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlite3_to_mysql/transporter.py”, line 736, in transfer
self._create_table(table[“name”], transfer_rowid=transfer_rowid)
File “/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlite3_to_mysql/transporter.py”, line 360, in _create_table
column_type = self._translate_type_from_sqlite_to_mysql(column[“type”])
File “/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlite3_to_mysql/transporter.py”, line 287, in _translate_type_from_sqlite_to_mysql
raise ValueError(“Invalid column_type!”)
ValueError: Invalid column_type!

The connection is being made successfully, as I’ve deleted the homassistant database manually and it recreated it with sqlite3mysql.

Any idea on how to fight this?

I just want to add that I used dbeaver to migrate data without any problem (homeassistant in docker, mariadb installed locally):

1. create empty mariadb database
  2. stop home-assistant
  3. configure home-assistant to use mariadb
  4. run home-assistant and stop it to create empty tables on mariadb
  5. truncate mariadb tables (could be done at migration time)
  6. configure on dbeaver both sqlite database and mariadb, and use it to migrate data
1 Like

Some data types may be different in MariaDB than in SQLite (and it may cause corruption of some states/other data), have you checked this?

I haven’t done rigorous check, just checked if “updates” from firsts posts were necessary and they weren’t.

I remember some of my graphs were seriously messed up after clean import, but I haven’t noticed that immediately.

I have trouble with connecting to the MariaDB that the port number is not an integer

I did already some checks in the transporter.py from sqlite3mysql and the port number shows with type as <class ‘int’>

I am running phyton 3.10 on Ubuntu 22.04

Found the solution to solve all dependences, on the site source location from the tool GitHub - techouse/sqlite3-to-mysql: Transfer data from SQLite to MySQL there is the solution to use a docker container which contain the whole tooling.

1 Like

you may need to add in --break-system-packages when runinng “pip3 install sqlite3-to-mysql” command (i had to)