Migrating to ESPHome from Tasmota

I had installed Tasmota on a dimmer since it didn’t have ESPHome support out of the box. Once I was ready to load ESPHome, I figured I could just load it OTA but ran into the same error you had. I definitely didn’t want to go through pulling the dimmer back out of the wall to serial flash, so I finally found this which took care of it for me. It did take a few extra tries before I figured out the syntax was “SetOption78 on” or “SetOption78 1” though…

1 Like

Just tried this on Tasmota 8 moving to ESPHome and it worked like a charm! I normally flash the included Tasmota 7.0 as an intermediary to ESPHome when using TuyaConvert and don’t have this problem. But I was playing with Tasmota 8 on a switch trying to get something to work and then ran into the new OTA check issue. Fortunately I had just seen this post so I was in luck! Thanks guys!

Mine’s unbricked now too - printed the jig and used without issue. :stuck_out_tongue: :grinning:

I cannot thank you enough for this! Genius!

1 Like

Yes I had read about this setoption78 before I tried a tuya/rasmota/esphome conversion and was glad I had. Thanks to @ab0tj

I’ve recently flashed with Tuya Convert and had Tasmota 8.1.0.2 installed.

Tried SetOption78 suggestion but was getting ‘Upload buffer miscompare’ error.

Had to flash 7.2 tasmota-minimal.bin and then 7.2 tasmota.bin and now ready to convert to ESPHome.

1 Like

SetOption78 on worked for me too. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Sorry to necro an old thread, but I’ve run into what appears to be the same issue.

I have a device with Tasmota 9.2.0 on it, I’ve done the “SetOption78” command (and verified that, after reboot, it’s still on), but when I upload the ESPHome-generated bin file, I’m still getting a “Upload Failed” and “Upload buffer miscompare”.

Anyone have a solution other than downgrading Tasmota (which is doable but seems annoying) or just reflashing over a wired serial connection (which requires removing the device from where it’s installed to get at the wiring, which is a PITA).

I’ve just successfully downgraded from 9.2.0 (Julie) to 7.2.0 (Constance) and then over to ESPHome.

From v9.2.0;

1. SetOption78 on
  2. Install 8.5.1 - tasmota-minimal.bin
  3. Reboot
  4. Install 8.5.1 - tasmota.bin
  5. Reboot

Now you’ll be on Tasmota v8.5.1

From v8.5.1;

1. SetOption78 on
  2. Install 8.1.0 - tasmota-minimal.bin
  3. Reboot
  4. Install 8.1.0 - tasmota.bin
  5. Reboot

Now you’ll be on Tasmota v8.1.0

From v8.1.0;

1. SetOption78 on
  2. Install 7.2.0 - tasmota-minimal.bin
  3. Reboot

Now you’ll be on Tasmota v7.2.0. It is the ‘minimal’ version so won’t really be good for anything, so flash across to ESPHome before doing anything else

6 Likes

@subzzz Thanks for this tasmota downgrade method path. Works great on my Shelly2.5 and so easy! Done in <5mins!

Many thanks. This works, but is such a PITA. I hope the ESPHome folks provide a conversion path in the future.

Hi, just tried to do the same thing and really simplified the process. I flashed the 9.5.0 Lite using the process above, then my ESPHome bin. Success! Thanks for the hints that got me there, a lot of steps can be shaved off.

TL;DR the only reason it’s not working with a full Tasmota is because there isn’t enough space left, so installing a lite version (much less scary than the minimal version, if you screw that one up it won’t come back online) is enough to get my device running ESPHome.

2 Likes

I ran into this for the first time today. I found out that you can just gzip your ESPHome file as long as you are using Tastmota 9 or higher. That fixed the problem immediately without having to down- or cross-grade - I’m currently using the full version of Tasmota 11.1.0 and it takes up so much space I couldn’t even upload the uncompressed “lite” image. That’s when I realized they were providing all the images gzipped too and figured it was worth a try just compressing my own firmware first. Works great - I think I will open an issue with ESPHome to see if it can optionally compress the image prior to downloading just to eliminate the potential hassle of finding a method to gzip the file.

Anyway, hope this info helps someone out!

Ryan

3 Likes

@pickupthepace Did you ever do this? I succeeded doing the same gzip trick and think having a third image downloading option is useful for those migrating from Tasmota to ESPHome.

Does anybody successfully migrated from Tasmota 12.x to ESPHome via OTA?
If I try it on a ESP32-C3 I‘m stuck at their new safeboot mode.

Is it this thing introduced in tasmota 8? :point_down:

Or something else? Might want to drop a link or something :wink:

No it was introduced with v12

I used the Setoption, but that is I think to allow other firmware than Tasmota

Here is a linkt to the introduced safeboot:
https://tasmota.github.io/docs/Safeboot/

Yes, I have just done it. I was on Tasmota v12.3.1

I was scared that I will end up with similar situation as you’ve had so I have tried to downgrade first to v11.1 but this failed due to insufficient disk space.

I have done the following:

• Tasmota console: SetOption78 1
  • Build as small ESPHome bin as possible (just a single basic switch.gpio). This resulted in quite big file 498kB
  • I have gzipped it with 7-zip and the result file was 345kB (I thought it will fail to upload as well but it didn’t!)

Looks like it worked. I was able to control the relay in my socket via exposed switch entity and I have successfully upladed new updates over the WiFi.

I hope you will fix your device somehow. Good luck!

Hi Maks,

did you try it on an ESP32?
Because:
This page is specific to ESP32 and variants (not applicable to ESP8266)

Oh I have missed that. I have done it on ESP8266 - sorry for confusion