Migration advise

I have a setup using HA with docker (core-2021.4.1 / supervisor-2022.01.0) using the Z-Wave (deprecated) intergration.

I do not dare to upgrade this setup and I stopped upgrading for the same reason. I’m scared it will break my setup.

So I bought a second device and a second z-wave stick, and was aiming to add the devices again using the buttons on the devices.

I’ve installed HA, and kudo’s to the developers, the z-wave stick is finally automatically discoverd!

Is there a better way, faster at least, than removing and adding the devices using the hardware button’s on the z-wave hardware devices?

Gracias!

the only faster way is to do the thing you don’t want to do - which is just update to the new zwavejs using the existing zwave stick.

Can I place the old stick in the new setup?

yes.

but you can’t have both of the zwavejs server software and zwave integration running and accessing the old stick at the same time.

Here is a post I made a while back to help someone thru the migration.

hope it’s helpful.

1 Like

Depends on which sticks you have. If they support it, you can use the NVM backup and restore functionality provided by zwavejs2mqtt to move the network from one stick to another. In that case, you don’t need to exclude and re-include anything.

Stock Nortek and Aeotec Gen 5 < v1.2 sticks don’t support this functionality.

I have two Z-Wave.Me ZME_UZB1 USB Sticks (Node:1 Complete).

So, shut down the old HA, take out the stick, put the stick in the new setup and boot?

If your source and target controllers are the exact same device, then you can use any tool to do a backup and restore: zwavejs2mqtt, Silicon Labs PC-Controller software, or the Z-Wave.me Z-Way software.

What’s the purpose of removing and re-adding devices? Just plug your original stick into your new HA setup.