Hardware

• Intel Nuc8i3BEH
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB NVMe M.2
  • DDR4 8GB

Software:

• Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
  • Portainer
  • Hassio in docker (hass supervised).
  • Addons: DuckDNS (included with let’s encrypt), MariaDB, Samba Share, Unifi Controller

Desired setup

• Unifi Controller seperated
  • Xampp server

Problem:
Home Assistant Supervised is not recommend for the future.
I still got errors with the supervisor that it not is supported.

For now, everything runs fast, because I run it on a NUC. In the past when I started with hass, I started with a rpi. Comparing NUC and rpi, there is big difference in speed, stability, etc… of course because the hardware.

I was wondering, if I should reinstall everything? Maybe I started the wrong way, also thinking by future projects, and software…

Isn’t better to install Proxmox? And on that a VM with Hass? problem would be solved of the support of hass supervised?
Can I also use docker for other projects? Eg: creating an Ubuntu VM on proxmox and in Ubuntu installing portainer?
If I want to use windows, I can also install a new vm with windows.

Generally: I’m thinking that I forgot only to install proxmox, underlying the ubuntu OS. Am I right?

What If I goes that way? If I install a VM for hass can I import everything of hass? (I have a snapshot). Because I had hassio?

I also can expand drives, so If i put an extra SSD in the nuc (sata), will it automatically recognized?

I’m thinking if I use proxmox, I can get the best of both worlds: VM + Docker… Am I right?

Also I use ZWAVE, should it be better when I do the migration, also migrate to zwave.js, because since the last released, it said, it would be recommended, it maybe deprecated?

Any comments are welcome.

Where did you get that information from?

Just install Debian

Personally, I would install proxmox on the NUC and create 2 vms.

One a hassos vm that contains all of your homeassistant based things, using addons for additional functionality where needed. Fully supported and no complications.

Second vm, OS of your choice, so I guess Ubuntu for you. Install anything you want on it as it’s completely separate from your homeassistant installation.

3 Likes

I meant the generic. I’m using for now hass supervised generic linux ubuntu.
See: [On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

It said:
This doesn’t mean it stops working today or that you can’t use it, just that the development team will not spend time and energy to make it compatible with your system as both Home Assistant and your current operating system continue to evolve.

Have a look at the installer script, there nothing limited to Debian yet. It does not even install missing dependencies, but reports them only.

I‘d say: It‘s safe to continue using (Debian based) Ubuntu, if you really depend on add-ons.

I second VM separation for the network controller and network services in 1, and home automation in the other. Making the automation VM Debian will allow supervision without complaints.

However I would do Ubuntu for the other VM.

You may have performance issues running the Unifi controller because of the low amount of memory, as the Java environment uses about a gig of mem, and the database server will use a ton, and if you starve it is slows down. When you move from a container to VM you need to manage memory differently, and this may cause issues unless you double the RAM. It is by far the largest resource user on my system with 6572MB of RAM, though this will vary with the amount of network devices and clients.

Once you get HassOS in a VM you can just import the snapshot then remove the addons that are now part of the other VM.

If you put another SSD in the NUC you need to partition it before the OS can use it, this would be done in Proxmox.

You will need more RAM for sure if you want to do that

Yes, using Docker inside the virtual machines is no problem

It’s Ubuntu not being supported into the future… not the whole install method. Debian is supported.
What to use is a personal preference and I prefer Debian instead of Proxmox.

1 Like

I guess, using VM software, can’t be a bad decision, whether you install linux, windows,… on top of it.?

I’m thinking to do the following thing:

Instead of proxmox, I thinking to use unraid instead. I heard many positive comments about that.
Creating a VM of hass OS, so I can use also addons. No problems anymore with superviser of hass.

For now, I’ve 8GB of RAM, can I create a VM with that amount of ram? I’m thinking to buy 16GB of ram and later on put it on the nuc. I guess it shouldnt have any problems…

First things first, trying to setup the new setup… Afterwards, can I just import my snapshot that I took from hass import that?
Also i will try also moving on to zwave.js because it is recommend. Probably old zwave will be gone in the future, or not supported / updated anymore.

That is the beauty of snapshots.

Well if you run Debian you won’t have that issue either.

Unraid is primarily aimed at disk management with VM and containerization as an added feature.

Proxmox is a VM and container manager with backup, clustering, and migration as its primary features.

Proxmox will do a better job at managing virtualization than Unraid, so there is not any compelling reason to ever run Unraid on a NUC

You are not a fan of hypervisors, but what are the disadvantages in your opinion?
For now it’s only the generic ubuntu that is on hold, how sure are you that in the future debian will be the same thing? What if devs goes another direction?

THe devs have made it clear HA Supervised on Debian is here to stay in the very thread you referenced. It is a supported method in ADR14. Generic Linux on Ubuntu is NOT on hold it is now unsupported as per that thread and also ADR14.

I just don’t like Proxmox. I wanted to and I have a dev XCY computer running it with a few HA VM’s but I don’t like it. I also don’t like HA OS and prefer Supervised on Debian but we all do what works for us.

It is supported if you only run HA on it:

No additional software, outside of the Home Assistant ecosystem, is installed

It is effectively supported no matter what you run on it. The only thing I used to use that caused it to be unsupported is Watchtower.