Migration from HomeSeer 4 to HomeAssistant

Hi All, I’ve been a HomeSeer user for about 7 years now (Vera prior to that), but it’s time to move on. Can anyone tell me how I can get both systems running side by side on the same computer? (with one or the other shutdown, of course). I already have HA setup in VirtualBox, but now gotta figure out how I can bring the 100+ Z-Wave devices over. I’d much rather not exclude/include all of them from scratch. In fact, that would be a show-stopper. How can I export the keys from HomeSeer into HomeAssistant and import all the devices from my ZWave stick and have them work in both systems? Based on my research, others have done it, but I can’t figure out how.

Thanks so much in advance with any help you can provide. I look forward to this migration :slight_smile:

ZwaveJSUI should get devices once you add the controller.

Not sure how homeseer connect zwave but likely you cannot connect homeseer and zwavejsui at same time

Zwavejsui allows connection via mqtt and websocket so once added there, you likely can add it back to homeseer if needed. Not sure how that will turn out

You may name devices in zwavejsUI and HA will pick it up ONLY when first adding to HA.

A light named living room becomes light.living_room in HA. A switch with same name is switch.living_room. Switch or light is based on device type.

1 Like

So all of your devices are stored on the nvm of your controller while the security keys are typically stored in the software you use. In order to migrate over you just need to copy over your security keys.

When I changed from homeseer to HA I had 87 devices to move. I took the time to include/exclude. It took me about 12 hours. I also had a spare USB dongle so I save the homeseer setup in case I needed.
I think it was worth the time to get a clean fresh start and to learn HA better.

This helped me learn the system better. HA does have a steep learning curve but the Dev’s are working hard to make the system better. I have never looked back. Hacs, Integrations and add-ons make the system so much better than homeseer. Not bad mouthing homeseer, I just prefer HA more.

In my insignificant opinion, it is easier to configure and add other devices not to mention it now supports matter. Hope this is of use and I understand if it is not.

Thanks for the feedback. Honestly, I’m trying to do everything possible to avoid having to exclude/include everything. My HS setup is pretty clean and has had 7 years of customization put into it. So I’d rather not compromise that setup. My plan is to hopefully export the zwave keys from HS (if I can figure out how) and use those same keys with HA so for the most part, HS continues to run and whenever I have time, I can shut down HS and work on HA till it’s fully operational :slight_smile:

I’m not so sure how to bring the keys over. There’s a ZWave.ini file in the HS folder, but I’m not sure how to bring all those keys to HA