mmWave human presence for under $20?!

Nah, it’s for the 24Ghz one.

Same idea for the 60Ghz one but different packet header and checksum(which doesn’t matter for reading)

For the 60Ghz one, you would wait until you see the end of frame packet 0x54 0x43

void loop() override
{
    while (available() > 0)
    {
        bytes.push_back(read());

//End of Frame is 0x54 0x43
        if(bytes[bytes.size()-2] == 0x54 && bytes[bytes.size()-1] == 0x43)
        {            
            processPacket();
            bytes.clear();        
        }
    }
}

1 Like

There’s some news!

Seeed just released a Fall Detection Pro module which uses 60Ghz and has a range of 6m!

Significantly higher accuracy than the 24GHz one and is highly configurable with a key setting - maximum range

2 Likes

This is Great. Working fine. Thanks a lot for all the help and effort from your side.
One request: Can we set the sensitivity threshold for the sensor from HomeAssistant, like using a slider or number? It would have been a handy feature.

Refer to crlogic and I’s discussion about 10 messages ago in this thread.

He has got a slider working as you describe.

I’m not so familiar with mmWave stuff. What do you think is best to use in a home to detect if a person is in a room (either sitting at a desk or sleeping in a bed) Seeed Studion “60GHz mmWave Sensor - Breathing and Heartbeat Module” or “60GHz mmWave Radar Sensor - Fall Detection Module Pro”?

I’m planing to build some of these to use it in each room in my home, but not sure which one to get.

Thank…

DFRobot Sen0395. But it’s not in stock.
Fall Module pro is untested but the spec sheet makes it look promising.

I had a few thoughts on some:

2 Likes

I live unfortunately in a area where 24GHz is unlegal so I need to go with 60GHz, so that’s I find Seeeds mmWave sensors are interesting

Yah. Thanks. I got Crlogic’s code working on your previous sketch. Will the same snippet work with the new updated code? I will try today. Thanks for the reply.

Yep it should be fine

Very nice list you have compiled. Thank you for your contributions to this thread.

Allow me to add a few more to your list: millimeter wave Doppler radar ,Biological Radar Sensor,microwave radar sensor_Good Display

They have a “Wireless 60G Radar Module for Human Movement Tracking, IR60TR1A” which looks interesting.

Seems like Seeed is branding and re-selling perhaps the same exact sensors as in the link you posted.

Nice theory. And it would not surprise me in the slightest if it turned out to be true.

1 Like

Could you share your code please?

Don’t look at me, @phillip1 is the mastermind here! I am only 4 hours into a 31hr video of learning c++ on YouTube, ha! Watching on 2x speed is trippy.

Everything is posted above.

I made it 5 hours into the video :sunglasses:

Actually, that’s just the manual. I’m trying to get mine going today and the actual device is labelled “+ 12V -” across the top of the terminals. mine also came with an adaptor but I threw that in the bin (not AU certified).

@ferbulous , did you only end up using the wifi one then? Haven’t got another zigbee version? I paired my zigbee sensor with ZHA but I’m not getting a binary sensor or anything to show presence in HA…

I did get the zigbee version, using z2m
Seems to have the same limitation with aqara fp1 & dfrobot i.e detects ceiling fan movement which gives off false human presence detection

I’m gonna try some diy solution using tinfoil if it could prevent detecting the fans. Seems to work for the fp1

I might need to test the wifi version again

Ok thanks. I may have to move from ZHA to Z2M…

I have a couple of these sitting on my desk, but haven’t had time to play with them yet.

I implemented 3 of the dfrobots SEN0395, and they are working pretty well. Got the MR60FDA1 to see the difference between the dfrobot 24GHz and a 60GHz sensor.

In my use cases I don’t care at all about how quickly it goes back to off - the fraction of a penny it costs to leave LED lights on for an extra 10 minutes is meaningless versus the lights turning off when they shouldn’t. That just isn’t money I want to chase - in fact the LED bulbs dying sooner from extra on/off cycles will likely cost more than the savings from a couple extra minutes here and there over the lifespan of the bulb.

I am more interested in better presence detection when people are present and stationary (reading for example). PIR is horrible for that use case.

1 Like

I’d be interested in such a thing.