mmWave Presence Detection - ESPHome style

Seeing as the DFRobot is out of stock in most places, I’ve seen this 60 Ghz alternative, do we think this could substitute as a replacement? This would be my first time making a DIY sensor, so want to make sure before I purchase anything.

https://www.mouser.ca/new/jorjin/jorjin-mm5d91-00-sensor-module/

I was curious about this one as well and have looked at the datasheet which appears decently thorough; including radiation dispersion patterns.

One important difference with this sensor is that it requires local software installation for configuration using their software and no communication protocol is explained in the datasheet.

1 Like

Here’s a video on using the dfrobot sensor

4 Likes

Inception… :wink:

4 Likes

Why do so many youtube videos have no useful information in either the thumbnail or the title. This drives me mad !

(Rhetorical question - I know the answer. But it still annoys me to no end.)

Too keep this comment somewhat on topic, I’ve ordered my first sensor through Pimoroni. :slight_smile:
It was in stock there and should arrive in a few days.
Thanks to everyone who took the time to research & document this particular sensor !

1 Like

The latest project has been posted…

Hi, great guide and and awesome that you share this with us.
I am looking to make this but found that DFrobot also has a smaler sensor mmWave Radar Sensor Arduino-Human Presence Detection Wiki - DFRobot
You think this will work also, similar spec but on the 5.8GHz band.
And cheeper.
Want to do around 10pcs so finding a similar but cheaper sensor would be awsome.

Also, thought about something else… Sliding doors usually use this kind of sensors.

Would that not be possible to connect to an esp also?

I’m sure you could but 12-24V, you’d have to power it from some other source, I don’t know of any boards that will output more than 5V.
Plus wouldn’t the range on these be quite low ?

Yeah power you need to work around… And it states that if you mount it 2m up and point it down, the range is 2m… I guess the real range is similar to other sensors if you not point it to the floor.

Anyone know if there’s been an implementation of the df robot board using zigbee for communication instead of wifi? Or if there’s a zigbee equivalent to the wemos d1 mini?

What is the advantage of zigbee vs wifi for you in this ?

What is the advantage of zigbee vs wifi for you in this ?

Range. I have multiple zigbee routers throughout the house that cover better than my wifi.
I’d also rather keep all my SH stuff on the same connectivity standard.

Wait for the new ESP32-H2 and hope ESPHome adds support?

1 Like

Also in theory with zigbee there could be a chance to power it with batteries, right?

With a large battery I suppose…

Agreed but the sensor need power which will drain the battery

ESP32-H2 is so long to come … It’s already a year waiting :slight_smile:

May be check under this Ebyte CC2530 2.4GHz Zigbee SMD Wireless Module (E18-MS1-PCB) Zigbee compatibility

1 Like

All sensors drain battery! hehe. Hence a large battery.

Let’s see 0.1ah for six months is what, >400ah? (don’t trust my math…)

Hey Scottua25,

As mentionned no, currently there isn’t. They do have a Zigbee board in preparation but it’s going to be forever before ESPHome supports it, if it ever does.

If you really want Zigbee you can grab something like a xbee instead, which is kind of a similar thing to an esp32. But sadly there’s not an ESPHome equivalent for it, you’d have to program it yourself.
And for having tried I can tell you the ZCL will not fit on it in micropython mode, so it’ll have to be C if you want it to actually join an existing network. Not an easy project !

You could also look into ESP Now, which is a way to get esp devices to talk to each other directly a bit like Zigbee. Maybe you could use that to relay messages to an esp closer to your wifi access point, if range is the issue. Never tried but my understanding is that there’s a few addons for ESPHome that add support for ESP Now, and it works even when connected to a regular network at the same time.