mmWave Presence Detection - ESPHome style

They are sent individually in the Services section of Developer Tools

You will see confirmation in the devices logs when you send them.

I’d buy these assembled.

1 Like

@crlogic I would like to try with SEN0395 as your experience seems good with. The question that I have is why EU stop with 24Ghz ?
I’m not really care about what they put in the law because they change always their mind but what is the real risk here ? health or may be device can be in trouble with future 5g antenna for smartphone ?
Also I’m having some TOF sensor but I’m not achieve to have the sensor communicate with a ESP in I2C. I was considering those also as a good added value combined with PIR for presence detection but thinking on mmwave also…

Can’t help with those things mate.

Thanks for posting this. Have ordered a pair of DFRobot sensors and can’t wait to try it out!
PIR sensors working reasonably well about the house apart from a couple of rooms. Hoping this will remedy the issue.

Glad it helps. Sometimes a mix of ingredients is useful so here is a mmWave + PIR build should you find combining them helps, Low-latency presence sensor: mmWave + PIR using ESPHome

1 Like

I’ll keep an eye and dig deep on both threads. I may well be back with questions for ya next week once the sensors arrive! Thanks for the spark & inspiration

The EU didn’t ‘stop’ 24GHz. This law only affects ultrawideband operations in that spectrum (things like vehicle radars for self driving cars), 24GHz narrowband is not affected. It has nothing to do with health, it’s because the spectrum just above the free to use 24GHz band has been licensed (=sold) to 5G operators and cheap unregulated UWB devices were spamming over the entire spectrum, making it unusable. It’s not only the EU btw, the US and pretty much the rest of the western world did the same.

Don’t worry, you and your device will be fine.

2 Likes

does it see-through wall,

Yes.

brick and mortar wall or wood walls? Here we have brick and mortar walls

I only tested it with drywall (plasterboard).

It is the cheapest sensor available here for less than a USD 1 https://epro.pk/product/rcwl-0516-microwave-doppler-radar-motion-detector-sensor-module-board-in-pakistan/

You can use an QuinLED-ESP32 which has a 5v out PIN (with a fuse secured).

I have four of these and not a single one can see through a wall. You have thin walls!! Typical Canadian construction of drywall and 2x4.

[edit] - I would be interested to hear if this was tested directly against a wall to validate ‘see-throughness’ compared to possible reflections off surfaces.

@crlogic this mmWave sensor would help immensely with my PIR detection gaps! Would you be able to post a wiring diagram as well as a parts list? Thanks!

There is a wiring diagram in the wiki linked in the OP. Did you need something different?

As for parts, the sensor plus any ESP of your choosing. I have had good success with the TinyPico and it’s nice and small.

Got the sensors today, wired up with a D1 mini and after a little experimenting, it’s all working, including uart config. Thank you so much for sharing the project.
I still have a zigbee PIR sensor in place, my main issue with the PIR was false negatives(while a room was occupied but sitting still), so will keep an eye over the coming days for false positives with this, and hopefully find a happy medium.

1 Like

Good to hear you are up and running.

Using a template binary_sensor for motion trigger in HA is a good way to combine them. I did that for a long time.

1 Like

Yes indeed. Current setup was to group 2 PIR binary sensors but it didnt help the situation. This sensor doesn’t switch off so long as I am breathing and no false triggers yet while outside the room, so looking good so far!