mmWave Presence Detection - ESPHome style

They are sent individually in the Services section of Developer Tools

You will see confirmation in the devices logs when you send them.

Iā€™d buy these assembled.

1 Like

@crlogic I would like to try with SEN0395 as your experience seems good with. The question that I have is why EU stop with 24Ghz ?
Iā€™m not really care about what they put in the law because they change always their mind but what is the real risk here ? health or may be device can be in trouble with future 5g antenna for smartphone ?
Also Iā€™m having some TOF sensor but Iā€™m not achieve to have the sensor communicate with a ESP in I2C. I was considering those also as a good added value combined with PIR for presence detection but thinking on mmwave alsoā€¦

Canā€™t help with those things mate.

Thanks for posting this. Have ordered a pair of DFRobot sensors and canā€™t wait to try it out!
PIR sensors working reasonably well about the house apart from a couple of rooms. Hoping this will remedy the issue.

Glad it helps. Sometimes a mix of ingredients is useful so here is a mmWave + PIR build should you find combining them helps, Low-latency presence sensor: mmWave + PIR using ESPHome

1 Like

Iā€™ll keep an eye and dig deep on both threads. I may well be back with questions for ya next week once the sensors arrive! Thanks for the spark & inspiration

The EU didnā€™t ā€˜stopā€™ 24GHz. This law only affects ultrawideband operations in that spectrum (things like vehicle radars for self driving cars), 24GHz narrowband is not affected. It has nothing to do with health, itā€™s because the spectrum just above the free to use 24GHz band has been licensed (=sold) to 5G operators and cheap unregulated UWB devices were spamming over the entire spectrum, making it unusable. Itā€™s not only the EU btw, the US and pretty much the rest of the western world did the same.

Donā€™t worry, you and your device will be fine.

2 Likes

does it see-through wall,

Yes.

brick and mortar wall or wood walls? Here we have brick and mortar walls

I only tested it with drywall (plasterboard).

It is the cheapest sensor available here for less than a USD 1 https://epro.pk/product/rcwl-0516-microwave-doppler-radar-motion-detector-sensor-module-board-in-pakistan/

You can use an QuinLED-ESP32 which has a 5v out PIN (with a fuse secured).

I have four of these and not a single one can see through a wall. You have thin walls!! Typical Canadian construction of drywall and 2x4.

[edit] - I would be interested to hear if this was tested directly against a wall to validate ā€˜see-throughnessā€™ compared to possible reflections off surfaces.

@crlogic this mmWave sensor would help immensely with my PIR detection gaps! Would you be able to post a wiring diagram as well as a parts list? Thanks!

There is a wiring diagram in the wiki linked in the OP. Did you need something different?

As for parts, the sensor plus any ESP of your choosing. I have had good success with the TinyPico and itā€™s nice and small.

Got the sensors today, wired up with a D1 mini and after a little experimenting, itā€™s all working, including uart config. Thank you so much for sharing the project.
I still have a zigbee PIR sensor in place, my main issue with the PIR was false negatives(while a room was occupied but sitting still), so will keep an eye over the coming days for false positives with this, and hopefully find a happy medium.

1 Like

Good to hear you are up and running.

Using a template binary_sensor for motion trigger in HA is a good way to combine them. I did that for a long time.

1 Like

Yes indeed. Current setup was to group 2 PIR binary sensors but it didnt help the situation. This sensor doesnā€™t switch off so long as I am breathing and no false triggers yet while outside the room, so looking good so far!