Modbus CRC Error after update to latest ESPHome version 2022.12.0

Hi,
After updating to the latest ESPHome version (2022.12.0), I updates my ESP32 with it, and now I get ‘Modbus CRC’ errors and thus am unable to read my Solar Inverter (Growatt) via Modbus (using a MAX3485 module in between).
Any chance this is related to the update ? Nothing else changed.
Have disconnected and re-connected the RS-485 port on the Growatt, powered off/on the ESP32.
No change
Edit: Added info on my TTL to RS485 converter

Most of the time a CRC error is due to multiple connections. Try to restart everything else.

Thanks, but… My ESP32 is only connected to the MAX3485 converter wich in term is only connected to my Growatt inverter. Nothing else

Found out you are supposed to put a 120 ohm resistor over the A and B from the MAX3485 converter, but that didn’t help either…

I have the same issue! Also after updating to latest version. Any news?

I got it working again by reprogramming the ESP32 via the CLi on my Mac. That ESPHome is still at version 11.2
And then … it worked again !!! Defenitely a software issue at the ESPHome version 12.0

Hi,
Same here, I rolled back to 11.2 and the collection of modbus values from my SDM-230Modbus device (used in front of Growatt inverter) worked back again ! Thanks @bigfloor for the tip :slight_smile:
Then, I tried 11.5 and CRC appeared. so this issue with modbus management is probably between these two versions…

How do you use an older version of ESPhome? I’m using the Home assistant add-on (also have the beta and the dev versions) but I cant find anyway to configure the older version. I’m also running into this CRC issue.

FYI see also this issue:

seems to be fixed by using a different arduino framework:

framework:
    type: arduino
    version: 2.0.6
3 Likes

That is still the fix (even with the latest version of ESPhome), switch to the 2.0.6 version of the arduino framework

Sorry to resurrect the topic, but is happens constantly.

All well in 2023.11.2. Upgraded to 2023.11.6 and all hell broke loose.

+1 this is the solution that worked for me
Thanks @alterego1

Hi!
I tried this, but I get an error message saying that type is not compatible with framework.

If I comment out type, and leave version: 2.0.6 I get a different error message: UnknownPackageError: Could not find the package with ‘platformio/framework-arduinoespressif8266 @ ~1.20006.0’ requirements for your system ‘linux_aarch64’

If I leave version: recommended (still comment out type), it compiles, but still CRC-errors.

I`m using a diy esp8266 board.