Modbus to Home Assistant over WiFi

Hi,

I’m looking to replace my boiler and I wanted to get something that I would be able to get the consumption meter into home assistant.
It seems that while some boilers have WiFi they don’t provide this information over that channel but is used purely for controlling the device.

So I have two questions here:

1. Is there a boiler that provides this information over WiFi
  2. If I get a boiler with RS485 would a RS485->WiFi adapter work (e.g. https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/4000788639333.html)

I’m in Greece and it seems that the most popular brands here are Baxi and Sime

I would just get a cheap “dumb” boiler which probably costs less than half (or only a third?) then the cheapest “smart” boiler. Then just invest another $10-15 for a esphome power meter plug and call it a day. :walking_man::shower:

How do you read the consumption? Is there clamp or something like you do with the power?

Well, a power meter plug reads the power consumption. :point_down: :zap:

Regarding the water consumption I just grab my water meter pulses :point_down: :potable_water:

Sorry for not clarifying but I’m looking for the natural gas consumption…

That’s interesting and might have been worth to mention in your very first post :wink:

How is your natural gas billed? Is there a meter in place you could leech into HA? :stopwatch:

Beside I hope you don’t really have a boiler powered with gas but rather a flow/instantaneous water heater for that task :point_up:

Meter is not close and it is in a public place so I can’t add some custom hardware - e.g. camera with wifi etc…