Moes BHT-002 Thermostat local control (Tuya based)

Have you other tuya integration in your config?

No, this is my only one
Also I’ve downloaded the localtuya folder from GitHub that was attached in the original blog post

mich41v4294 try to change in:
protocol_version: 3.1

You download all files from github? All files required.
Full file list:

I’ve got this

Didn’t help

Try delete all files in “_pycache” folder.

I’ve reinstalled my Homeassistant, now I’m getting another error.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py", line 178, in _async_setup_platform
    await asyncio.wait_for(asyncio.shield(task), SLOW_SETUP_MAX_WAIT)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/asyncio/tasks.py", line 442, in wait_for
    return fut.result()
  File "/config/custom_components/localtuya/climate.py", line 91, in async_setup_platform
    protocol_version
  File "/config/custom_components/localtuya/climate.py", line 159, in __init__
    status = self._device.status()
  File "/config/custom_components/localtuya/climate.py", line 132, in status
    self._cached_status = self.__get_status()
  File "/config/custom_components/localtuya/climate.py", line 112, in __get_status
  File "/config/custom_components/localtuya/pytuya/__init__.py", line 279, in status
    payload = self.generate_payload('status')
  File "/config/custom_components/localtuya/pytuya/__init__.py", line 219, in generate_payload
    json_payload = self.cipher.encrypt(json_payload, False)
  File "/config/custom_components/localtuya/pytuya/__init__.py", line 64, in encrypt
    cipher = AES.new(self.key, mode=AES.MODE_ECB)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/Crypto/Cipher/AES.py", line 232, in new
    return _create_cipher(sys.modules[__name__], key, mode, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/Crypto/Cipher/__init__.py", line 79, in _create_cipher
    return modes[mode](factory, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/Crypto/Cipher/_mode_ecb.py", line 215, in _create_ecb_cipher
    cipher_state = factory._create_base_cipher(kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/Crypto/Cipher/AES.py", line 93, in _create_base_cipher
    raise ValueError("Incorrect AES key length (%d bytes)" % len(key))
ValueError: Incorrect AES key length (20 bytes)

Nevermind, I have switched local key and device id, it’s all working properly now, thanks for your help :smile:

1 Like

Hi, I’m trying to start your thermostat with local control. Unfortunately, this ends with an error

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py", line 178, in _async_setup_platform
    await asyncio.wait_for(asyncio.shield(task), SLOW_SETUP_MAX_WAIT)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/asyncio/tasks.py", line 442, in wait_for
    return fut.result()
  File "/config/custom_components/localtuya/climate.py", line 91, in async_setup_platform
    protocol_version
  File "/config/custom_components/localtuya/climate.py", line 159, in __init__
  File "/config/custom_components/localtuya/climate.py", line 132, in status
    self._cached_status = self.__get_status()
  File "/config/custom_components/localtuya/climate.py", line 112, in __get_status
  File "/config/custom_components/localtuya/pytuya/__init__.py", line 307, in status
    result = cipher.decrypt(result, False)
  File "/config/custom_components/localtuya/pytuya/__init__.py", line 87, in decrypt
    raw = cipher.decrypt(enc)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/Crypto/Cipher/_mode_ecb.py", line 195, in decrypt
    raise ValueError("Data must be aligned to block boundary in ECB mode")
ValueError: Data must be aligned to block boundary in ECB mode

Can you help me?

I have the same error: Platform error climate.localtuya - Integration ‘localtuya’ not found.

- platform: localtuya
  host: 192.168.0.130
  local_key: 'mykey'
  device_id: 'myid'
  name: 'moes'
  scan_interval: 5
  min_temp: 5
  max_temp: 35
  protocol_version: 3.3

I have downloaded localtuya from github.

Hey Guys!

If you want perfect HASS integration with yout BHT-002 use my open source firmware replacement: https://github.com/fashberg/WThermostatBeca

Including home assistant auto-discovery.

Kind Regards
Folke

9 Likes

I am wondering about external sensor is it possible to monitor in HA both temperatures.
I read in manual that only one sensor can be used to control relay by thermostat.

Hey Mario1,

i have an explanation for this:

Section: External Temperature Sensor

Short: In AL Mode my firmware reports both values (in other modes the MCU module does not report two temperatures to ESP-Module).
Internal Sensor controls temperature, external controls overheating protection.

Tipp: Long press to most right button for 5 seconds (while device switched on) shows external temperature in thermostate.

Kind Regards
Folke

Did you add auto discovery for alw heat cool fan_only already?

Hi fashberg,
Many thanks for pointng me to your GitHub project. I not catch that at the beginning. I read about external sensor so now it is clear for me about reporting. Today I have ordered my first BHT-002-GCLW to handle water heating in my room, after test I will buy 14 of them.
I’ve choose that one because I always can put netutral to dry connect to handle standard NC Actuator Valve but still I could handle low voltage relay.
In you github manual I not see option to set external sensor temperature to control overheating. Could you tell me how it is handled?
In my use case I see different best usage of external sensor. It will be nice to have control to minimum value of floor temperature. If it is belowe of set value than relay should be on to heat floor. What do you think about it?
Thanks

Hi Mario,
i have 8 BHT-002-GALW. They have two relais, not potential free.
The first relay gives contact to “L” if the valve should open, the other one gives contact to “L” if the valve should close; i don’t use the second one.
See that image: https://github.com/fashberg/WThermostatBeca/blob/405351e9a7d23e2132ea8358fa76349f02210d5d/docs/install-003.jpg
You can also use GCLW with dry contact. In my case i would had to bridge L to the input of dry contact with GC version, so i’ve ordered GA. You hear click/clack every mode-change, with GC you only have one click.

Regarding the temperature sensors:

In my readme.md you can read:

Hardware

The Hardware itself has two Microcontrollers:

• The MCU, the Main Controlling Unit.
    • It controls Temperature, Display, the Relay, Scheduling, has RTC, etc.
    • The software on the MCU gets not upgraded with WThermostat, so no changes here.
  • The ESP8266-based Tuya-Wifi-Module.
    • WThermostat replaces the Software on this ESP-Module
    • There is a serial connection between MCU and ESP. Via this connection the we can control the MCU
    • Only the Wifi-Verisons of thermostats have the ESP-Module.

This means reading the temperature and controlling the relay is inside the MCU.
The ESP chip (which runs my firmware) can’t neither control the relay, nor can it read it’s current status!

So my software knows the current temperature (internal sensor (IN-Mode) or external sensor (OU-Mode) or both in AL mode), knows also the target temperature, know current mode (off/manual/schedule) and knows date/time and schedule.
But my software/the ESP-Chip does not know if the relay has turned on the heating (state not provided by MCU). But there is a hardware hack: you can solder two resistors to an GPIO pin of ESP chip and then you can see the current heating state. But we can’t control!
I have never soldered anything to my 8 thermostates (flashed with tuya-convert).

External Sensor
Check out the BHT-002 manual https://github.com/fashberg/WThermostatBeca/blob/405351e9a7d23e2132ea8358fa76349f02210d5d/docs/BHT-002-Manual.pdf
Read section 6. System settings , Code 4 and Code 9.
I think that Code 9 (Overheat Protection) is controlled by External Sensor if Code 4 is set to AL.

If you need a minimum floor-temperature you can read the external sensor’s temperature in homeassistant and set the heating to manual ON and to manual temperature of 30 degrees (room temperature) to ensure the floor gets heated with an automation.
In theory this behaviour could also be programmed into my firmware (set target temperature to X if external temp is below Y).

I also have water floor heating with wood-floor. It takes 1.5 - 3 hours until you have an warm floor.
I don’t have floor temperature sensors (only one for testing). I want to have a warm floor in the bathrooms in the moring.
So i’m just using the scheduler to set target room temperature to 30 degrees at 5:30 in the morning and switch back to 20 degrees after two hours. Works great.
I start heating the living room by setting a very high target temperature in the late afternoon hours to have there a warm floor in the evening hours.

Because of the good heat-isolation of the house most the times the forced-heating periods are enough to have a comfortable temperature. So the time scheduling is the best advantage compared to the old bi-metal thermostates.
Maybe with external floor sensors you have better control depending on temperature, but the temperature reaction is so slow that i do not longer react most time to temperature changes but i act with scheduled heating periods depending on weekdays, weekends or vacation.

Kind Regards
Folke

2 Likes

Hi Folke,
Many thanks for detail explanation. Now I uderstand how it works and it is harder to add this feature to achieve minimum floor temperature directly to device because it is controlled by MCU. It is pitty that MCU not provide current status of heating and it needs hardware soldering. Do you have any instruction how to do it? It will be nice to have in HA information when heating occured.
Your suggestion is very good if mode = Auto and ext.sensor temperature < setFloorMinTemp then set target temperature 30. When min floor temp is achieved then switch back to previous target value. However now it seems to me that this feature should only be activated on manual mode therefore maybe only it should be controlled by HA where anyone can put as many conditions as he wants.
Scheduling probably is best way to achieve good rate economy to comfort temperature. I will wait until my unit come to me and try your local version and perform tests :slight_smile:

Hi Folke,
I have recived today my first from 14.
It tooked to my 1h to flash with tuya-convert. To be able to use tuya-convert you need to enter thermostat to wifi blinking (turn off device and then press down arrow for at least 8s). I did not find that in your installation readme you could add it it will be easier for next person who would like to use your firmware.
Could you point me to some information how to make reporting current heating state. You wrote that it has to be connected some pins with resistior could you write me which one?
Best Regards
Mariusz

Hello,

Where will the following values ​​be written?
an existing file or a new file to be created?

• platform: localtuya
    host: 192.168.0.130
    local_key: ‘mykey’
    device_id: ‘myid’
    name: ‘moes’
    scan_interval: 5
    min_temp: 5
    max_temp: 35
    protocol_version: 3.3