[monitor] Reliable, Multi-User, Distributed Bluetooth Occupancy/Presence Detection

Do like this:

device_tracker:
  - platform: mqtt
    devices:
      bluetooth_svh: 'monitor/heime/stig_vidar_sin_telefon/device_tracker'

- platform: mqtt
    devices:
      bluetooth_it: 'monitor/heime/ingunn_sin_telefon/device_tracker'
1 Like

Many thanks for this Stig.

Is there anything else that I need to do in order to be able to see the option within the “Select the devices that belong to this person.” list?

I am not quite sure what you are asking here. But you can add this device tracker to a person in the settings. Click on the person you want to edit and add one or more device trackers to that person.

1 Like

Hi Stig,
Yes, that’s exactly where I was trying to add the tracking. After a bit of investigation I found out that it looks like I had got the coding slightly wrong.
For my setup this works:
bluetooth_jw: ‘monitor/johns_iphone/device_tracker’

I am delighted to report that the option can now be added to my person entry:

Unfortunately it’s reporting that I’m away at the moment so it looks like there’s one final challenge.

Many thanks for all your help - very much appreciated :slight_smile:

I’m still trying to find it… somewhere ive found information that newer Tile Mate doesnt broadcast any name - I need to find “clear” space w/o other bluetooth beacons to find it MAC

Make yourself a little tinfoil head. :wink: :smiley: Just kidding, place your phone and the beacon in two or three layers of tin foil (aluminum foil :D) with just enough space for you to take a look at it. Like putting them in a tin foil bag. :slight_smile:

Excellent idea! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m having mosquito issues with some of my mqtt devices and it’s difficult to debug because monitor connects/disconnects rapidly many many times per minute with a different client I’d every time. Is there any way to reduce or stop this behaviour without impacting the effectiveness of the script?

Thanks

Just migrate to room-assistant, much more reliable for my case.

Try downloading mqtt explorer it’s a stand alone program not part of HA. You’ll will be able to sort and isolate topics.

Were you able to find the mac address of the tile mate?

I used this app to find it : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bluetoothFinder&hl=en_US&gl=US
I went outside with my phone and tile next to each other so it would not scan a lot of bt devices. and it found a few and tile was the one closest to me and with the best signal…

but its always shown as not_home for for me. I don’t know why.

I’ve found this post to scan for beacons which should include the tile mate. I have not purchase the tile mate yet and wanted to know if it will work for just presence detection when at home and not if outside. A few post down happybubbles suggest to forget the tile from the mobile app if you don’t use the app at all.

i added -b to start script and i now see my tile :

but still not_home

You have to add the mac to known_static_beacons, you might also have to add ‘random’ to the list as well.

@ Mikefila thx for answer. i added it like this in known_static_beacons:
00:00:00:00:00:00 Nickname
But i dont understand where i should add random? :slight_smile:
thx

I’m not completely sure but it’s either

random

or with the quotes

"random"

ok i will try :slight_smile: thx

“random” made it work! Works really good with my tile. BUT not with my phones. tile updates when it leaves home but phone BT sensor is always home. same on 3 phones in my home.

Do you know why maybe? :slight_smile:

This is how i start monitor: sudo bash monitor.sh -x -b -tdr

red= wrong.

Well, the “systemd unit file” is how monitor runs as a service. Do you have some other way of having it run as a service?

How are you telling it to do departure scans?