[monitor] Reliable, Multi-User, Distributed Bluetooth Occupancy/Presence Detection

Ya I guess your right but its weird if you read the thread front to back where he mentions that -t is triggered mode only. Guess its required for both the ad and r flags though. A little confusing but I suppose every big thread can be, as a good idea evolves. I guess to some it up a pi with the -tr flag acts like the script is run in default mode with the exception that on any detection of beacons, recognized, or fake advert it triggers an arrival/depart to the other pi’s that are set to -tad

Thinking about testing monitor because I’m not satisfied with my current presence detection. Anyone that using google pixel phones with it and can verify that works fine with them?

1 Like

Hi Yoda. Sorry I gave up and gave in to the temptation of esphome. It works for me.

Lols I was just in the mood that day :wink:.

Anyways I haven’t used ESPHome before, but if it works for you, that’s nice. I will guess you have several of the ESP devices around the house already. I try to use or cramp different functions into a single device. So since I use Kodi in most rooms, felt it was good for me.

Besides I don’t think the that of ESPHome gives the level of flexibility the monitor script gives. Like scanning when you want it to, and the type of scan which helps speed detection up a lot.

Regards

it’s my first time using esphome too. i know monitor is way more powerful but i just don’t have the time anymore to learn how to program it. i just want something that just “work” and esphome seems to be able to provide just that. it just keep on scanning every minute no matter what and report the rssi value. i have tried it for 2 days and it is still running.

I’m using a pixel3 and it seems to work okay for me. my wifes iPhone Xs works much better however.

I’ve been using some variation of this project (monitor since it was released and presence for a few months before that) for over a year now with two Pixel 2s and haven’t had any problems.

1 Like

Good to know :slight_smile:

Benjimatt presents and interesting idea I think. It wouldn’t be for everyone, me as an example since I can’t trigger on door opens, but sending a message that triggers and arrival scan and clears out any “home” devices that don’t answer back instead of doing departure scans would get you fast arrivals and fast departures - assuming you have a way to reliably kick off this sort of sequence such as an alarm system telling you that a door has opened and thus you need to send the MQTT message to trigger a departure via arrival scan, hope that makes sense.

Hi, how do you use Esphome for monitoring?

Build the firmware using this https://esphome.io/components/sensor/ble_rssi.html and flash it into nodemcu esp32. Home Assistant will discover it automatically as sensor with rssi value.

No interference with WiFi by scanning every minute?

Not sure. How to tell there is a interference? What are the telltales?

Either wifi or bluetooth failing periodically.

Tell me @masterkenobi - can you only track one device’s rssi per esp32 via this component?

So far didn’t notice such issue.

You can add multiple ble devices in the configuration. But I only have one device to track at the moment. Can’t tell how reliable it will be if it were to track multiple devices.

Thanks for that

As befits an old jedi living alone in a cave :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been using esphome to track my Mi band 3 for about a month and it’s been solid after some initial issues.

But you can’t scan on demand:

Also, I can’t get the super fast detection I want (3-5 secs). But as the Esphome BLE scanner is “passive”, I think that it is quite dependent on the frequency of the BLE devices advertisements.

This is why I’ve just pulled the pin and am going to try the monitor path (Pi zero just arrived). Then I can trigger a scan activated by a PIR sensor.

I’m very Interested in the new BLE 5.0 spec and what that will get us. Like using a Mi band 4 and a Pi 4?

@Klagio , this link may help a little.

is that a limitation of ESP32? or just ESPhome is not ready?

I’m not 100%. I think it’s a ESPhome thing.

well that scan on demand plus integration with persona and device_tracker would be perfect

1 Like