[monitor] Reliable, Multi-User, Distributed Bluetooth Occupancy/Presence Detection

Yes I found it in the docu, that rssi is done as you explained. But anyway I dont get any rssi info about my 2 devices. I think this is probably related to the devices. One is an samsung galaxy S7 and the other a samsung galaxy watch. Probably only IOS can act as an ibeacon or so - no idea.
This all looks like this all dont work as expected

Ok unfortunately I got no experience with non Apple products so cannot advise on that.

Regards

Hi Guys,
Iā€™ve just ordered a rpi zero and will be going down the rabbit hole with this over the weekend.

i currently run HA on a RPI 3B and having major issues with the bluetooth tracker becoming unresponsive, I rely heavily on bluetooth as a tracking device.

this will be the first time Iā€™ll be using MQTT

could someone offer any NOOB-like tips to ensure I get this running successfully.

first question
how offend by default does this scan to ensure Iā€™m still at home?

Hi guys
I currently have this set up and so far working okay, I just have a few questions

1, how do I ensure Monitor starts up when I reboot the rpi?
2, whatā€™s the best setting to ensure it pick me up as soon as I pull on my drive?

Type exactly that. You will then be in the nano editor. edit as described. ctrl-x to exit.

1 Like

Thank you for some reason I kept getting it wrong. Thatā€™s why I removed the post.

This is a great tool you have created and thank you again for continuing to be active.

Iā€™m also very curious how you get Monitor to start more or less as a service, I currently SSH into the Pi every time and run it manually, can someone share a command that would help? Would crontab do the job? And if so, what would the command be?

When you first run this: sudo bash monitor.sh - itā€™ll prompt if you want to install it as a service.

Aha, but will saying yes to that (which Iā€™m pretty sure I did) allow me to then tell it to run with -b? Itā€™s the only mode that works (impeccably, though!) for me.

hereā€™s what you need to run to modify the startup flags:

first, modify the service with the flags you want

sudo vi /etc/systemd/system/monitor.service

then reload the daemon (to pickup the changes you just made) and restart the service

sudo systemctl daemon-reload
sudo service monitor restart
1 Like

Outstanding, thanks!

Though what @jon102034050 said will work, but an easier way will be to stop the service and run the script manually in cli with all the flags you want alongside the -u flag.

This will update the service file, and start the system.

1 Like

I have tried this on a few rasperry pies (v3, zero), and all jam the Wi-Fi (Unifi AP LR). I notice this by sluggish connection, and see that the connection quality displayed in Unifiā€™s web GUI is drastically reduced. Any ideas on why this happens?

Clogging of the 2.4GHz space because BT is also 2.4? Try being exclusively on 5GHz on your WiFi in the houseā€¦

Cool, did not know thatā€¦I already did the other method and it works as desired now :slight_smile:

5 GHz exclusively is unfortunately not an option. By reading previous posts, I understand that active scanning with name requests can be the problem source. Would it be possible to use only passive BLE scanning for paired devices?

Hi,
Iā€™ve set up monitor with flag -r which picks me up the second I pull on my drive, yet it also keeps dropping to zero randomly.

Whatā€™s the best setting for it to pick me up as soon as I pull on the drive, yet only scan to see if Iā€™ve left when i unlock my door?

sudo bash monitor.sh -tdr

Which basically means depart scan only on trigger and continuously scan for arrival.

Regards

1 Like

Super thank you.

Iā€™m trying to get this running on a NUC running Ubuntu 18.04, but the most recent version of mosquitto I am able to install is 1.4.15 and thus is not satisfying the greater than version 1.5 check. Any thoughts?