Motion sensor integrated light wiring diagram

Does anyone have a good wiring diagram of how a motion sensor integrated light (exterior carriage or sconce with motion sensor) works with the wall switch to allow manual on/off? I have found some diagrams but they show power disconnect when putting the wall switch in the off position. Essentially, the wall switch(es) and motion sensor should be in a 3 or more way set up. Maybe I am looking for confirmation of this for these types of lights.

My interest is to install an mqtt relay in the power circuit to integrate with my HA system. similar to this Vera thread. I can recreate based on the textual description, but will not use the same hardware most probably.

Wall_motion_load_diagram

I found this. This would require two hot wires out to the light/sensor fixture. Also, if the SPST is a smart switch, there is no feedback if the motion sensor turns on the load.

A little more information would be helpful before trying to answer this.

• Which country are you based in as codes/best practice vary quite a lot.
  • Do you already have the Lamp/PIR you want to use? Does it have a wiring diagram?
    • I assume you mean one with an integrated PIR; these either work on a single switched live wire, and on/off switches to control mode or have multiple inputs; permanent live, switched live. The second model would be preferable for your use case.
  • What cables are present in your switch box for this light?

Using a built in PIR unless you use power monitoring on live (shelly maybe an option) you won’t know if PIR has triggered the light.

I am in the US. 5 year old construction.
I have not found a solution and would like to understand how to wire it before buying. The Lowes and Home Depot type sites do not have much description so I have not figured out how to tell if they have the multiple inputs, or what those multiple inputs look like on a one-line/schematic. It seems like any multiple inputs would limit sales of those units to new construction.

For a PIR, I have searched around for exterior, independent PIR. This plus a Shelly1 would overcome the lack of trigger signal @Enoo cites. But the overwhelming forum answer is to use an internal PIR in a protected location. DSC has a $200 unit. The only credible recommendation seems to be a gaurdline RF (still $$), hacked per this thread. See the posts around Nov-19. There is another RF unit, but I would have to integrate a sonoff RF or other unit to read it, and I did not want to spend that much effort, and wifi MQTT is my preferred.
Depressing not finding exterior solutions.

I’m UK based so hopefully someone else can help on keeping things within regulations.

So to clarify what you are trying to achieve:

External Light switched by either automation, PIR or internal switch?

I see two options:

Buy a 4 wire external PIR light.
Permanent Live/Neutral/Earth connected as normal.
Switched Live connected to Shelly or similar with switch attached.

The only weakness with this approach is you cannot over-ride the PIR sensor through HA.

Ideal solution imo:

Buy a standard external light and separate external PIR with a Shelly 2.5
Mount Shelly appropriately.
Wire the normal internal light switch to Shelly SW1
Wire the PIR sensor switched output to SW2.
Wire external light to Shelly Output.

In UK an external PIR is not expensive, link. I’m sure something similar must exist in US.