Motion Sensor suggestions

Hi! I’m new to automation and I would like to get some motion sensors. I have a few devices setup but I don’t have MQTT, Z-Wave, or Zigbee yet. Are there any motion sensors I can get without having to set up hubs and/or USB sticks? I’ve seen people suggest the Wyze motion sensor but I can get that where I live.
-Sorry for bad English

Other than things using WiFi (which will generally have terrible battery life) you’ll need a USB stick for the radio protocol - Z-Wave or Zigbee. Of the two Zigbee is generally cheaper.

I personally have very good exprience with htis:

combined with the openzwave (QT/“beta”) addon it works well and has very quick response.

yes, you will need a zwave stick at around 40 EUR.

1 Like

You can use the following:

Quite cheap, includes a zigbee-wifi bridge and works very well with Home Assistant.
I got mine on AliExpress, took some time to arrive but since I got it I’m quite pleased.

Sorry for not knowing anything but what’s the best Z-wave stick?

I have a standard-sized home by the way

Or zigbee.

The best Z-Wave stick is … whatever is cheapest - they’re all using the same chipset, it doesn’t matter :wink:

The best Zigbee stick depends on your choice of Zigbee integration. If you use deCONZ you get a choice of one, if you use zha you have a choice of many, but anything EmberZNet based is recommended, if you use Zigbee2MQTT you have a choice of many, but either the Zig-A-Zig-Ah! or Slaesh’s stick is recommended.

If you go the wifi route then I highly recomend this tutorial - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yu57vjz7AY

I made an LED strip controller with built in PIR using this method. Easy, reliable (as mains powered) and a great way to learn about ESPhome which is pretty easy to pick up.