Motion Sensor - Underbed Lighting

Hi there, I am new to both this forum and HA and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

I am looking to create a light for under my bed which would come on when motion is detected.

I have found what I think is a suitable LED Strip - https://www.wizconnected.com/en-gb/p/light-strip-led-strip-5m/8720169077201 which would go around the underside of my bed. What I need to find is a suitable, relatively inexpensive (under £30 if possible) motion sensor, one which ideally doesn’t need a hub to connect to. I may need two as if my partner stays over I would want it to come on if they got out of their side of the bed.

For reference I am running HA on a Raspberry PI in another room on the same floor as my bedroom and am based in the UK.

If you need to know anything else please ask.

Thanks in advance.

CJ :grinning:

I doubt you want a motion sensor, this would be a good start. https://community.home-assistant.io/t/fsr-the-best-bed-occupancy-sensor/ also hearing that the mmwave sensor work well also, but haven’t tried those yet. I just installed under bed lights and an FSR for each side of the bed. Have an automation to turn the lights to low blue if she gets up in the middle of the night, works great.

Low brightness red is better for preserving night vision and making it easier to get back to sleep.

1 Like

This is exactly what I use, but one of the lamps on the far corner of the room is basically always on. At night it’s low brightness red for the bedroom EXCEPT if the alarm isn’t armed. - then it’s a different color (aka: when I get in bed and the lights dim… hey dummy you left the alarm on manual again)

1 Like

Thanks for your suggestion, I think it maybe a bit out of my league to try something like that, but I’ll definitely investigate an MMWave sensor as an option.

Provided you don’t have cats and a clear underbed view one motion sensor surely is enough to cover you both. I have an aqara and an older hue one. Both worked. Aqara is a bit better in my special use case as it has less angle compared to the one from Hue.

Since I have cats I had to put it in a higher place and therefore had to prevent it from turning on when I move in my bed but not out of it.

Concerning the MMWave sensors… unless they have a 100% working sleep detection I would not use one of those. You can’t really trick these sensors, they’ll always detect you. Even trough thinner walls or glass. And you or especially wifey will absolutly be annoyed by random brightness in the middle of the night.

1 Like

Hi @Caligo thank you for your reply. I had completely forgotten the bed has under bed storage, which would block the path of any sensors. Back to the drawing board I think. :thinking: