Motion Sensors - Zigbee or RF?

For 433 Mhz: Digoo

For Zigbee I have the aqara, IKEA, and Sonoff.

I don’t have any reliability issues with the Digoo’s, and although many people complain about the Sonoff SNZB-03, it works fine for me.

I had a lot of 433Mhz devices from before I discovered HA, so I have 2 flashed Sonoff Rf-bridges and 2 Rf-links in the house.

1 Like

What did you end up going with? I am wanting to replace my Wyze PIR (even though it works flawlessly). I love my RF433 door/window sensors and my water leak sensors. I was looking at this: https://itead.cc/product/sonoff-pir3-rf-433mhz-rf-pir-motion-sensor/ as a replacement. I currently don’t have any Zwave nor Zigbee and want to stay away from both.

I actually went with both. And neither are perfect.

I had issues initially with the Aqara sensors dropping off almost exactly at 24hrs. I ended up having to create a second zigbee network for them and they’ve been solid since. Then I did the pencil hack and got them all working at 5s,but the next day they were back to 60s. So I started soldering them instead and it was the same thing. Turns out the new ones can’t be hacked.

The sonoff rf ones work at 5s right out of the box. Was really easy to get setup with the custom component through HACS. The downside I’m having with these is range. If I move the sensor out of the room of the rf bridge, they no longer register. I did some digging and the sonoff rf bridge is known to have terrible range. There’s a few antenna mods out there that I may try to tackle.

1 Like

Thanks for the follow up.

I initially had the issue with range, but I found the sweet spot in my house for a single bridge to cover it. I still might buy an additional bridge to cover the garage/driveway better. But I haven’t even looked at how to do an antenna mod! Going to google that shortly. Thanks.