Mount Google Drive in Home Assistant OS

Is there a way to mount Google Drive in HASSIO to use as a route?

With anything like this o different:

How to do it in HASSIO?

What’s your goal?
If it’s for backup, check this add-on: Hass.io Add-on: Hass.io Google Drive Backup

1 Like

Nope.

It is to use along with plex (so that Plex can stream media files i have stored in my account).

found any answer ? would like to know too.

1 Like

I wish I had…, but not yet.

1 Like

you could do it with rclone in running in docker. you can install it trough portainer addon. pull container rclone/rclone:latest see Install (rclone.org) . im mounting 2 google drive storage one personal gdrive_p and one unlimited gdrive_u drive

you could also try this custom addon home-assistant-addons/rclone at master · alex3305/home-assistant-addons (github.com)

1 Like

I’ve tried the plugin and unfortunatelly has nothing to do with my purpouse. It is just to do backups.

Regarding installing in portainer. How do you do to keep it always up between reboots?
Could you share the way to configure it in Portainer?

No not the plugin. The custom addon from home-assistant-addons/rclone at master · alex3305/home-assistant-addons · GitHub you need to add it manual to your repository supervisor > adon store: then click on the three dots in de right corner en select repositories add it there. It is not just for backups i think your confused with the google drive backup addon. But there is no way that i know to mount it at reboot using hass os. I used it for plex so when ever it reboots you need to manually start it up again thats why I switched to install hass supervised on debian. But the trick is to mount the /share as volume in your rclone container so rclone and plex can both access it then set it up through rclone config . But i would suggest hassio supervised with rclone it really works like local storage and i also use it as extra storage for my camera setup and it works really smooth way better then expected.

Is there a specific reason why ur using hassos instead of supervised. It will givw you lot more controle over your system and its not that hard to accomplish and too manage. You could try setting it up in amazon aws first as a free tier and if you mess it up you just start over without affecting you own system. If you would like to give it a try just follow these instructions Installing Home Assistant Supervised on Debian 10 either on you own system or as I mentioned on amazon aws ec2 choose debian instance.

I meant addon.
And, unfortunately, when you install it, you’ll see that the addon is just for backup.

Just a matter of realibility. I want the system to be as robust as possible, and being integrated HASSIO with HA Core is IMHO a good choice as is the default officially offered and most supported.

Hi Pbvdven,

I’m really interested about setting the same solution you used to map your google drives storages.

I installed portainer but unfortunatly i cannot start the rclone docker container.

I mount the data and config volumes as told in their documentation and start the container with a “mount” command but i get a missing fuse error.

Could you please be kind enough to send me your container settings ? I would gladly appreciate to use drive for my plex server

What type of home assistant installation are you running? It seems to be not possible on hass os. The error means fuse is not installed on the host but ha os dont allow you to install it. Your best option is to switch to home assistants supervised its home assistant with debian 11 as operating system instead of hass os. Here is a post of someone that installed fuse on hass os but is seems not to be working and lost at reboot Install FUSE on Home Assistant OS . But im running plex with 2 google drive storages mounted to it but i use home assistant supervised on debian 11 in that way you have more control over the OS. To install supervised follow this tutorial Installing Home Assistant Supervised on Debian 11
When you install stuff on the os you may get ha unsupported but that no real issue only installing rclone wont make it unsupported for now but this may change in the futher. Im running this for over a year even updated from debian 10 to 11 without any issues. You need to add some tweaks to the rclone config for performance upgrade. I can look up those tweaks for u that i used wen you get there. You could also google plex with rclone many people use this.

@pbvdven

I think @jd1900 is correct, the home assistant addon you’ve directed to isn’t useful here as it is only designed for backups.

I have a home assistant supervised install on my rasbian OS and I’m trying to replicate what you’ve done. It would be useful to have some more information.

I’m able to install rclone in either the host system or in its own docker on the host system and I’m able to mount the drive as per the instructions in the link you provided but I’m struggling to share this folder with my homeassistant running in docker. If I mount my remote onedrive to /usr/share/hassio/share/onedrive I can see the ondrive folder in my homeassistant share folder but it’s empty.

Could you please provide more details of your config and setup.

Thanks!

sorry for the late response you should create a service to mount at startup here is my service file for google drive. first make sure you setup rclone correctly can you see files in your onedrive trough rclone then install a service to mount the rclone to a folder on your system? im running rclone directly on the host not in docker

[Unit]
Description=Rclone
After=network-online.target

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/bin/rclone mount gdriveu: /usr/share/hassio/share/gdrive_u --vfs-cache-mode full --vfs-cache-max-size 200G --vfs-cache-max-age 4h --no-gzip-encoding --drive-chunk-size 512M --no-check-certificate --allow-other --allow-non-empty --umask 002
ExecStop=/bin/fusermount -uz /usr/share/hassio/share/gdrive_u
Restart=on-abort
User=root

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target

some guidance
rclone Systemd startup mount script | JamesCoyle.net Limited

Hi there,

I have created a feature request for mounting Google Drive to Home Assistant:

Best regards
The Smart Home Maker

Voted! Thanks for making the feature request

I’m looking into this currently and it doesn’t seem possible :confused: My only hope is using Proxmox somehow for this as I use it to run my Home Assistant OS VM

Voted as well!