Moved to 0.95, now life360 doesn't work

What version exactly of HA are you using?

I’m running 0.95.0

@pnbruckner I’ve just restarted the NUC and the life360 integration is now working. Thank you for your help. No idea why I needed a reboot.

Well, you shouldn’t have needed to reboot. There would have been a message in your log that reads something like this:

Loaded life360 from xxx

It would have been interesting to know what it said for xxx.

EDIT: Hmm, it seems that message is output too early in the boot process to make it into home-assistant.log. But you can see it using this command at a Linux command prompt:

journalctl -u [email protected] | grep "Loaded life360"

In my case it even seems to work across HA restarts. (Maybe that’s the default???) Anyway, if you can run that command, it might be instructive. E.g., it should say this:

...  [homeassistant.loader] Loaded life360 from homeassistant.components.life360

But if it said this:

... [homeassistant.loader] Loaded life360 from custom_components.life360

then that was the problem.

For those of us transitioning from the custom component, can you clarify the steps 1 and 5 in “Basic Steps” ? How do you Stop and Start HA ? Is it this ? :

. Sorry if it’s a stupid question, never saw these instructions needed before :slight_smile: Thanks (and btw, huge thanks to @pnbruckner for the custom component and now the standard one, it’s always worked great for me !)

Sure, you can use the STOP button there. How do you start HA normally?

The problem is you need to delete the old custom files, and you really can’t do that while HA is running and using it. I suppose you could remove life360 from your configuration, then restart (with the button you show), then delete the files, then add the (adjusted) configuration back in, then restart again, if you really would prefer not to stop and start.

Thank you. I should have mentioned I run Hassio on a RPi. I never had to “Stop” it per se, only restart it after I made a change to the config.
In practice, if I understand correctly, when I “Stop” HA, I can still access the files using Samba and at that point since they are not used by the system they are available to be deleted (from the PC). Then i go back to the web interface. Will the Configurator be running at that point ? I need it to change the config in step #4.
Maybe i am overthinking this, the second approach you just suggested, while it requires 2 restarts, makes total sense to me, so i might just use that…thanks again Phil !

I don’t use Hassio so I’m not familiar with the restrictions/limitations it imposes. Good luck!

Got it. I am not home at the moment or i would try to push the “Stop” button and see what it does in a Hassio/Rpi setup, but am afraid I won’t be able to bring it back up through the remote interface. Unless someone beats me to it, i will try tomorrow night and report back. Perhaps a different set of instructions are more appropriate for Rpi users that migrate from the custom component.

Just make sure you have the ssh addon installed otherwise you won’t be able to restart it when you stop it… so Phil’s advice to remove the custom integration, restart and then install the core component is probably the easiest way to go.

1 Like

The issue is Hassio, not Rpi. I used a venv install on my Rpi (before moving to a beefier x86 system.)

Thanks @DavidFW1960, this is what I suspected, if i use “Stop” from the web interface then I cannot restart from the same web interface. SSH or unplug the Rpi would be the only way to restart it, correct ?

I am running Hassio on an Ubuntu server and I did not have to stop HA before I deleted the custom config. I made the needed config changes, changed the name of the config/custom_components/life360 folder to config/custom_components/life360bak, and restarted HA. Everything came up fine on the first restart.

My config, if it helps or even matters :slight_smile:

life360:
  accounts:
    username: !secret life360_username
    password: !secret life360_password
  prefix: ''
  interval_seconds: 10
  show_as_state: 
    - driving
    - moving
  driving_speed: 18
  max_gps_accuracy: 200
  max_update_wait:
    minutes: 45

yep. that’s it… That’s assuming you’re running hassio of course…

Yes, correct, a different set of instructions -which you already gave up in this thread- for Hassio users.

You were absolutely right, darned, when you stare too much at it, you miss the obvious!
Thankyou very much @pnbruckner for the software, both before and now, this is very very nice, and for us an essential part of the HA experience!

1 Like

@nickrout is that really necessary? Is it helpfull? Come on, relax, be happy, as you usually are :wink:

Thanks. I wasn’t absolutely sure what would happen if you deleted <config>/custom_components/life360 while HA was running and using those files. At the very least I assumed it might need the cache files in the __pycache__ sub-folder. So maybe two restarts aren’t required, but with an abundance of caution, I’d rather be safe than sorry. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Success in transitioning from custom component to integration on my RPi/Hassio using instructions provided by @pnbruckner in this post : Life360 Device Tracker Platform

Thanks Phil !

1 Like

Arrggghhh I dunno, I think I had just looked at or helped with too many posts where reading the docs would have solved the problem. But you are right, happy is better.

1 Like