Movie mode lighting automation

There are always hundred ways to reach your goal. Especially when you have the flexibility of NR. You can find Here several options to schedule events or lights you can even get the info from HA if you prefer.

I did individual light scheduling at beginning as well. Im using now a general Light scheduler to decide in what time frame I want to allow the light Automation to happen. Than I respond to events like

• someone entering the room (via motion sensor )
  • opening or closing a door (via door/window sensor)
  • switching off/on living room light when Kodi is playing/stoping (see above)
  • responding to Alexa commands
  • etc
    Every light has its individual timer which is adjustable either via UI or Alexa. For any event the light turns on and starts the timer and gets reset when another event is triggered. The light is switching off when the timer has completed or an Off event or command is given.

I have done a more complex movie mode where the light is changing based on what is playing (Movie, TV-Series or normal TV). The state is given by the Kodi node. E.g When any Movie or TV-series is playing, than the main light turns off and the tv-ambilight is started.whenever the movie is paused, the light level returns to 50%. Oh yes, I forgot. I have a motion sensor at the backstory.whenever the dogs want out and waiting in front of the door, a message is displayed in Kodi, and the movie gets paused.

As said, there is almost no limit on what to automate and you don’t really need programming skills (for most cases). Programming skills are helpful to make your code easier, but usually you can achieve your goal with the onboarding tools and a good sense of logic. Just dont over complicate your automation at the beginning!,

1 Like

Got this working thanks heaps!!

Though I am struggling with the Movie Light automation in the Pi NR. I am searching for a ‘call service’ type node that I use in HA but not having much luck. Is there such a thing available for Pi NR?

I am trying to emulate this…

I have HA running in a VM on my Qnap Nas and I notice the ram usage is 80%. So my ultimate goal is the have NR running on my Pi and removing NR and possibly HA from my nas and also deleting the VM as I use this nas to store and stream my media library.

Sorry, what do you mean by “call service”?

What type of devices do you wanna switch on/off? … most of em you can control directly from NR without calling HA

In my example above from HA, when I turn on the HT Power from Hue app it in turn, turns on the HT Lights and Millen Falc switch - I use a call service node in HR to do this.

Then when we start watching shows the Kodi HT call service turns lights off or on depending the state of Kodi, playing, paused or idle.

Now, last night I received my Nvidia Shield TV Pro and have set it up to stream all media from NAS boxes and also all online services I subscribe to eg: Netflix, Prime Video and soon Disney+ (we get this next week in Oz) - Netflix will more than likely be cancelled at the end of this billing period.

So this means I want to have the HT lights behave as mentioned in the paragraph above, but now do so from the Shield TV.

What are my chances?

there is a great node for HUE Lights to manage them directly from NR without a call-service to HA

I have not seen a node for NVIDIA Shield yet … but sure there will be one soon

1 Like

Yes, but you can inject the current time and target time (based on the duration you need)

Is this something a developer would do and make available, or can one ask for a node to be developed??

Im sure there is already somebody working on it … i would either ask in this forum or in NR

Hi just digging this up!

I’ve tried using your flow for my setup but not seeing any dimming take place or debugging output for that matter.

do I need to setup input_number.kodi_dimmer_slider

[{"id":"82421721.1d8748","type":"server-state-changed","z":"3b670fa.35b977","name":"","server":"34d61653.1cc8c2","version":1,"exposeToHomeAssistant":false,"haConfig":[{"property":"name","value":""},{"property":"icon","value":""}],"entityidfilter":"input_number.kodi_dimmer_slider","entityidfiltertype":"exact","outputinitially":true,"state_type":"str","haltifstate":"","halt_if_type":"str","halt_if_compare":"is","outputs":1,"output_only_on_state_change":false,"x":674,"y":962,"wires":[["94d7bcd4.c510c"]]},{"id":"34d61653.1cc8c2","type":"server","z":"","name":"Home Assistant instance","legacy":false,"addon":true,"rejectUnauthorizedCerts":true,"ha_boolean":"y|yes|true|on|home|open","connectionDelay":true,"cacheJson":true}]

Edit: some debug information turned up over night

Call-service API error.  Error Message: value must be at most 100 for dictionary value @ data['brightness_pct']