Moving database to usb stick or usb harddrive device

Can anyone help me to a direction where is described how to move the database to an external device for example an usb stick or usb harddrive? I’m running HASS on a Raspberry Pi4b and are not familiar with Linux so a detailed description is preferred.

1 Like

I would like to know that, too

Have you guys seen this?

I am about to give this a try and shift the dbs to my Synology NAS

So how do you move it to a flash drive?

1. Make sure your drive is connected and visible to HA (depends on the way you operate HA: with HAOS it’s very easy) and the file system is correct
  2. Edit configuration.yaml according to the recorder integration details linked above. Use db_url, where the default would be db_url: sqlite:////home/user/.homeassistant/config/home-assistant_v2.db

If you don’t want to move only the database but the whole data (and more), stick to Common Tasks - Operating System - Home Assistant.

I believe I’ve cracked this issue for use with Raspberry Pi and now have Hassio running on a MicroSD with the sqlite database stored separately on a local USB drive!

For those interested in reproducing the solution I took, please see my longer comment (#25) on Home Assistant community blog post “Save DB on USB stick/drive (Hassio).”

I hope this information helps others!
Ben

1 Like