Moving from a Pi to a PC

Sorry if I didn’t mention it but I’m speaking moving to X86 architecture running Linux (I use only real OS such as Linux, not the b*llshit of some framed companies :smiley:

I upgraded about 3 months ago to a custom PC i5 8400 8gb ram best decision ever had to figure out what to fill up the extra space with (a good problem to have)

:exploding_head:

Running HA in a VirtualBox VM, and it’s a joy. Host system is a i7 laptop.

2 Likes

Upgraded for similar reasons. Despite my attempts at using external/network storage on my Pi 3 along with a separate MariaDB VM, performance just wasn’t cutting it for me. I went with an Ubuntu VM + Docker on my ESXi host (free license). I was able to forward my Z-Wave stick, which was my biggest concern.

1 Like

Had similarly great experience with my migration. I wrote what I did here My migration to improve Hassio performance and increase security

2 Likes

Is there any guide on running HA on a VM? Do you pay for the VM?

What issues have you got with shell command? I am facing the same :frowning:

??

A VM is just another computer on the network. You don’t pay if you run the VM yourself.

Setup VM (Ubuntu/Debian/whatever), then follow literally any of the preferred ways to install HA on a Linux distro. Python, docker, hassio on docker…

1 Like

My guy always to the rescue thanks for your help and knowledge man God bless :slight_smile:

Virtualbox is free. There are hassio images for virtual appliances. https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/

I run hassio in virtualbox on my windows laptop, just experimentally. Works fine. Note: some virtual systems may have problems passing usb devices to hassio, which means z-wave/zigbee sticks won’t work.

1 Like

What machine were you using to host the MariaDB database? I find the speed of that machine has just as much effect as the machine actually running HA.

I used the pi Hassio addon. Memory use doubled but I still had 50% free and the performance vastly improved over the SQLite default db.

I run hassio inside proxmox VE (which is a hypervisor) on my Dell optiplex 9020 micro (i5 8gb ram, 250gb ssd). Passing USB devices are like putting them in and click the pass to host button. Z-wave works like a charm. Performance is beast and power usage is low. If you’d want to get into it I could help you out. I was thinking creating a tutorial series.

2 Likes

Yeah but you can’t do that with Hyper-V

Then use proxmox, ditch hyper-V. The plus side to proxmox is debian under the hood.

I have a proxmox VM host. I’ve been using Proxmox since 2009. I don’t use Hyper-V, I was elaborating on the comment he made.

My HA runs in docker on a dedicated NUC.

1 Like

Haha lol. Proxmox is dope. I don’t have a nuc :frowning: couldn’t get the nuc image to work on my optiplex micro pc.

Using a raspberry pi and after spending an eternity getting my lovelace just right my SD card died! What was worse was it was in the middle of taking a hassio snapshot! So I looked into installing on my existing windows server (HP N54L with a SSD and 8gb ram) and after some advice on here went with using a virtual machine using The Hook Up guide here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnie-PJ87Eg

Reboots are much faster, only get warnings about custom components in the log and it has more grunt to be able to use camera streams (I have a load of cheap Yi cameras which are being given a new lease of life with Yi Hack V4 allowing RTSP and MQTT).

Have moved away from using duckdns since I’m already paying for the cloud service and means that I don’t have to open any ports. Tried node red but couldn’t get the hang of it so sticking with YAML for now.

Only thing I haven’t been able to get working at the moment is zigbee2mqtt so I’ve left that running on my Pi (if anyone has any hints it would be appreciated)!

I don’t use hassio. I find no value in it for MY setup. I just use normal home assistant docker.