Moving from a RPi3 HA running z-Wave to an Intel NUC8i3BEH

This is all a bit new to me…
I don’t have a complex Home Assistant. I have a z-Wave Gen5 stick and a number of z-Wave smart switches that turn on lights at sundown etc. A few security cameras that monitor line crossings and so on.

I want to move my Home Assistant from a Raspberry Pi 3 using Z-Wave to an Intel NUC.
I have just built an Intel NUC8i3BEH using this guide

JuanMTech – 8 Jul 19

How to set up Hass.io in Docker and in an Ubuntu server • JuanMTech

This is what I got

My steps

1. Install the Samba ADD-ON on the NUC
  2. Create a full snapshot of the Hass.io instance on the Raspberry Pi 3
  3. Copied the Snapshot from the Pi backup folder to the backup folder on the NUC
  4. Shutdown the Pi & remove power from it
  5. Remove the Z-Wave Stick and plug it into the NUC
  6. Load the Snapshot from the Pi into the NUC as below. I used the Wipe & Restore option as both were running 0.103.6 version of HA

From here I was able to connect to my HA on the NUC using http://my-ip-address:8123 and some of my configurations (video stream from my security cameras for example) were there but all my Z-Wave devices/switches were missing.

Some basic troubleshooting I did was to see if the NUC recognised the Z-Wave gen5 stick.

rontaylor@nuc-1:~$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 2109:0812 VIA Labs, Inc. VL812 Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 04d9:1503 Holtek Semiconductor, Inc. Keyboard
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 04d9:0499 Holtek Semiconductor, Inc. Optical Mouse
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 2109:2812 VIA Labs, Inc. VL812 Hub
Bus 001 Device 011: ID 0658:0200 Sigma Designs, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 8087:0aaa Intel Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Looking for the mount point that HA is look for…
rontaylor@nuc-1:~$ ls /dev/ttyA*
/dev/ttyACM0

This seems to be the correct mount.

I had set this in my configuration.yaml when I originally installed HA on my Pi3 with the following linesof code.

usb_path: /dev/ttyACM0
    network_key: "0x24, 0xcb, 0x1d, 0xa3, 0x5c, 0xfa, 0x00, 0x7b, 0x7d, 0xa2, 0xb8, 0xa9, 0x5c, 0xc6, 0xac, 0xeb"

I was under the impression that taking a snapshot allowed me to move from computer to computer ?? Am I mistaken?
Is there a better way?

Thank you

Try this
It may or may not help

Running the deCONZ Container

Pre-requisite

Before running the command that creates the deconz Docker container, you may need to add your Linux user to the dialout group, which allows the user access to serial devices (i.e. Conbee/Conbee II/RaspBee):

sudo usermod -a -G dialout $USER

Check that your usb_path: value is still valid. It’s quite likely some other device name now, on the NUC.

Hi Thanks
I will try that as soon as I can and let you know. Have a few medical issues with my wife to attend to.
RT

I have had a bit of time this morning so investigated Harry13’s suggestion.

As part of my investigation I came across this document in HA Docs. I had referred to it in the initial install on the RPi but did not have problems so never had to troubleshoot.

This also suggested that the user needed to be a member of the group dialout.
It also strongly recommended …

" If you did an alternative install of Hass.io on Linux (e.g. installing Ubuntu, then Docker, then Hass.io) then the modemmanager package will interfere with any Z-Wave (or Zigbee) stick and should be removed or disabled in the host OS. Failure to do so will result in random failures of those components, e.g. dead or unreachable Z-Wave nodes, most notably right after Home Assistant restarts. Connect to your host OS via SSH, then you can disable with sudo systemctl disable ModemManager and remove with sudo apt-get purge modemmanager (commands are for Debian/Ubuntu)."

So to summarise I needed to do two things.

Disable ModemManager
systemctl disable ModemManager.service

Add my user to dialout group
sudo usermod -aG dialout $USER

I then made sure that I logged out and in again so that all changes would take effect.

Next move the Z-Wave Stick Gen5 to the NUC.
Now check I could see it
ls -ltr /dev/ttyACM*
This was the output
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 166, 0 Jan 17 12:40 /dev/ttyACM0

I then noticed that there was an update to 0.104.1 of HA so I updated both the RPi and the NUC.
I then did a FULL snapshot on the RPi and was able to download it and save it to the NUC using the Samba shares.

Next was the Wipe & Restore.
This took a few minutes and I was presented with my HA login screen!

I now need to start to learn how to manage all this in Docker and HA

Thanks for the input.
I hope my experience is helpful to others.

1 Like