Moving ZWave from HomeSeer

I have a ZWave controller and devices setup in HomeSeer. I would like to move the controller and devices config (I assume stored in the controller) to Home Assistant.

I read what I could about ZWave in HA, and it references an S0/S2 security key. But there is no such setting in HomeSeer. Has anyone successfully migrated their ZWave controller and devices from Homeseer?

Do it 1 by 1, thats the best aproach!

What is the model number of your HomeSeer hub? I made a video explaining how to migrate your Z-Wave devices from other hubs to home assistant. If your hub doesn’t support S0/S2 security keys this means you have one less step to perform when migrating which is a good thing.

Its important to note that the method shown in my video assumes that your existing hub doesn’t support acting as a secondary controller. The reason this is important is because your new controller will have a NODE ID other than 1. This is not a problem functionality wise but some people are just picky about stuff like this. If your old does support acting as a secondary controller then you can perform a few extra steps to make the new controller NODE ID 1.

HomeSeer certainly has S0 and S2 security keys. They are stored in the configuration ini file. You have to convert the format of the S0 key manually but if you search this forum and HomeSeer’s you’ll find the instructions. The S2 key is stored encrypted so you need to use the newly added feature in HS4 to export that key. That’s assuming you use it, if you’ve never added an S2 encrypted device to HomeSeer you don’t need an S2 key.

FWIW, I just disconnected my Z-Net from HomeSeer and connected it to Home Assistant using Z-Wave-JS UI and the same TCP port. Home Assistant will automatically import all your devices it recognizes. If you have a lot, give it an hour or so to iterate through all the settings and devices. Be patient.

1 Like

I have an Aeon 5 Z-Stick, and I dont THINK I have any secured devices. But I did find the key in the Z-Wave.ini file. (I’m running HomeSeer 3 under Linux)

I’m not running a hub, I;m running HS3 on Linux. So there is no second hub (or first hub) I don’t think the video applies. I want to just move the Z-Stick USB device into my new HASS setup. Is all SIC/SUS or other settings contained inside the Z-Stick? If so, will just plugging it into HASS cause all my devices to be retained?

Yes, the software used with the Z-wave device has no interaction with the devices paired. All you need are the encryption keys for encrypted devices as you mentioned earlier. I routinely moved my Z-Net between HomeSeer and Home Assistant as I was migrating to Home Assistant with no issues until I finally shutdown HomeSeer.

I have a HS4 hub, and there is no zwave stick to move. How can I do it the easy way, Of courseI could go and proceed through exclusion of them one at a time and then add them to Home assistant, but there has to be a better way to move 50 or so device.