MQTT device rename causing it's no longer recognize

it still using mqtt, it just has its own device page. The otehr 7 devices I have are on tasmota 10.something. setoption19 0 is required

Another question - if I switch to this Tasmota integration can I preserve my devices and entities names so I won’t have to change all my Automations, Scripts, Dashboards, etc.?

possibly. it depends a bit on how they are named. You can rename them in the integration to what they were.

OK - I will try that on one device. Also will mark your answer as sollution because clearly I was wrong.

It works as you said on Tasmota 12.1.1 with SetOption19 0 under Tasmota integration. Funny thing is that some of devices on older firmware are now visible both by Tasmota and MQTT integration causing that such device has two switches doing the same thing. One from one integration and second from the other. However regardless which one you turn on/off both will turn on/off. That’s because probably this change is send to MQTT so second integration reads that info from MQTT and changes state of second switch.

Yet another question I have. Since some devices are discovered by Tasmota integration then how do I get rid of them from MQTT integration to not have those double entities?

EDIT: For Tasmota 12 I understand that devices still using MQTT broker to communicate but do we really need MQTT integration as well? Of course assuming all my tasmota devices are working with Tasmota integration.

You should be able to delete them via the mqtt integration. Hit the 3 dots, then delete. With setoption19 off they shouldn’t come back to the mqtt integration. IF you can’t delete them there, you should be able to delete them via removing the retained messages in mqtt explorer.

delete

I haven’t actually ever used the home assistant discovery for tasmota… so I may be wrong on the delete in mqtt. I made them manually before I used the tasmota integration.

I just found it out and it’s even better. No matter if you access device configuration from Tasmota integration or MQTT integration you have always those 2 options:

It’s in Polish (sorry) but basically those 2 on red says:

• Remove device from MQTT
  • Remove device from Tasmota

And hitting the first one solved the problem. You must remember tho that if you had for example in MQTT entity name like switch.tasmota.bedroom-light then entity in Tasmota integration will have name switch.tasmota.bedroom-light.2 so it won’t be included in your automations, dashboards, etc. You can simpy edit entity name are remove this .2. Of course after deleting device from MQTT integration.

In other words switching all devices to Tasmota integration is some kind of manual job but pretty easy and straight forward.

Yeah mqtt and tasmota integration are basically clones… it’s just a different page essentially. (that’s putting it very simply). Yes it’s easy to accidently end up with _2 numbered extensions if you send the device twice from different methods.

Sending an updated version from the same method should overwrite the previous version… along as you don’t change the name on the device, then it gets lost. It messes up the unique id.