MQTT not working?

I dont directly blame them for the failures in the plugins but it would have been nice if they then acknowledged that sometimes plugins go wrong and given us an easy way of reverting.

Right now MQTT does not work, and i have no easy way of reverting to a version of HAOS and Mosquitto where everything works unless i load a very old backup.

Also i just got everything up and running, my SkyConnect dongle was giving me headaches and would not work, seems reinstalling bricked it, and i needed to reflash it.

Then there is the Unifi plugin, the latest version is 2.7.0 but that wont work because of an error and then i tried going back to 2.6.0 that i had just updated from, but after 1 hour it was just doing its spinny spinny so i tried doing a reboot.

After the reboot, the 2.6.0 version was back on, but now the Home Assistant Supervisor is in a “Unable to configure” state so now a lot is not working.

In the end i will probably have to just start over for the umpteens time and then chose to ignore the update for Unifi from 2.6.0 to 2.7.0.

My only problem then is…Will i dare to upgrade to 2.8.0 when it is released. Maybe it fixes the problem, maybe it is still there and i have to reinstall the whole lot again, because i can not downgrade without HA getting stuck and Supervisor throwing a hissyfit.

I really feel this OS is so fragile that any upgrade risks the whole system going down, which is really bad when it is essentially what controls heating, lights, Solar panels, EV Charger and so on.

I never worry when doing a windows update on my computer, but every time there is an update to HA or some plugin i really have to weigh in the pros and cons of trying to upgrade to get new features, vs the very likely risk of the whole system crashing on me and that is pretty bad.

I was the one who raised the alert about the regression bug in the mosquito add-on.

I am lucky that I have a background in IT and extra resources. I run HA in a VM on Proxmox.
To get around the problem with unreliable bridges, I installed a dedicated mosquito broker (at 2.0.11 as this is the current version in Ubuntu) in an Ubuntu LXC. I then configured bridges to my two HA nodes.

This was sufficient to totally cure the instability I was experiencing.

As and when time permits, I’m modifying the configs of the main HA node (which runs on the same Proxmox server as the new broker) to use the new broker rather than the add-on. My objective is remove the need to use the add-on.

2 Likes

Hi

Funny you should say that.

I just got my integration to actually work, even with the new version of Mosquitto and latest version of HA.

Had done a lot of different stuff and restarted a lot and nothing worked.

Restarting in the menu and power off / power on did not work.

I then began looking at a different problem (All of the addon programs were grey and was shown as stopped, even if they were actually running…I could log on to Unifi controller even though it looked to be stopped)

Someone mentioned that he also had this problem and just like me, after reinstalling from a backup.

He mentioned that when selecting “Restart” it would pop up with 2 options “Quick restart - Only reload YAML” and “restart home assistant”

But below you have “Advanced options”

If you press that, it presents 2 extra options, one to shut down and one to “Restart system”.

Restart system is apparanly different than just “restart Home Assistant” and after i did the “Restart system” all of my addons acted like they should in the menu.

AND…My MQTT started working and all of my previously found stuff started reporting the correct data from the Solar inverter.

I have not dared update anything or restart the HA box since so i dont know if this is a “cure” or a “Temporary fix that needs to be used every time i restart the Raspberry PI”

1 Like