Multi zone climate component

Hi everyone,

I’m looking into the integration of a Honeywell Evohome smart thermostat with multiple heating zones (see https://getconnected.honeywell.com/en/evohome ).
The thermostat has some per-zone settings (temperature scheduling and overrides) and some global settings (system mode: at home, away, energy saving, off…).

My question: can the Climate component manage in a single object both the global and per-zone settings? If not,

1. should it be enhanced for this scenario, or
  2. should be created a new “Multizone Climate” component, or
  3. the behaviour should be implemented only in the “honeywell” platform?

By the way, I asked for help in a thread in the Feature Request forum at Update Honeywell thermostat component to new API .

Thanks,

Nicholas

1 Like

Yours is a great springboard example for the topic. Using 4 (soon to be 8) devolo TRVs and a single boiler controller I’m currently devving a ‘faux’ multi zone setup using input booleans, proxy climate components and automation. It’s starting to look good and work well, but it’s been a challenge…

Personally, out of your options, I’d like to see 2) - a new ‘multizone’ climate component - simply because I’d expect it to have to refer to instances of the traditional climate component to operate.

Either way, a solid UX for multizone heating in HASS would be a definite boon for the platform.

1 Like

I personally have found the following solution for my case:

1. I have several generic thermostats - Xiaomi temperature sensor + Wi-Fi/Z-Wave plug
  2. I create an input_slider and automation that sets each generic thermostat’s setpoint when the slider is moved

This way I can manage individual room’s temperature’s or set all rooms temperatures at the same time using the input_slider.

@kirichkov, very helpful. Any chance you could post your automation?

I have to note that “generic_thermostat” is a component of HASS that uses a smart plug and a temperature sensor to regulate the temperature in the room. I.e. I use electric heater in each room, and judging by your other post you’re trying to do something different using one central heating for the whole house.

A multi zone climate component would be useful for my use case - a multi-zone heating/cooling system where there are global settings (on/off, mode, fan speed, temperature set point) and individual zone settings (open/closed, airflow).