Multi-zone heating automation

Hi all,
has anybody tried to use @tpacri multi zone thermostate together with the TOON Smart Thermostate integration?
I have one of those (and the Rooted Toon integration in HA) and before starting to combine these two things (and possibly messing things up massively) I just wanted to check if anybody had done this before, successfully.

Thanks,
Merc

Hi @tpacri,
just wondered whether you had seen my previous post and whether you would have an idea how to combine your nice multi zone integration with this one (GitHub - cyberjunky/home-assistant-toon_climate: This component provides a climate device for rooted Toon thermostats.) which is a standard single zone climate integration for a room thermostat called TOON, which is quite common in the Netherlands and Belgium.
I looked into both scripts and saw that you are using a ā€œheaterā€ entitiy. I assume this is the switch that turns the CV on and off.
in the TOON integration I could not find exactly this approach but since it is also using the HVAC components I assume it must be very similar, only that the initialization or definition of this heater is somewhat different.
I am not a programmer and not too familiar with the climate integration either so I first wanted to ask if you (or anybody else) would see a quick way to combine these two integrations?

Thanks, happy new year and kind regards,

Merc

You could create a switch or input_boolean and set it up with the multi zone integration from tpacri. Use an automation to set your toon climate device to heat (to a setpoint higher than current temperature) when the switch is on, and vice versa.
My setup works similar.

Hi @tpacri ,
one more simple question.
I have installed your multi room solution to see what it does (and hopefully to adjust it to my setup). What strikes me is that I am not seeing these sliders to control the individual rooms. Should they show up automatically or is something else required to get those?

Thanks and regards,

Merc

Hi, the sliders are input_numbers that youhave to define yourself in configuration.yaml. Here are mine:

input_number:
  min_ambiental_temperature:
    name: Min ambiental temperature
    initial: 21
    min: 14
    max: 25
    step: 0.1

min_dining_temperature:
    name: Min dining temperature
    initial: 20

min_kitchen_temperature:
    name: Min kitchen temperature

min_fabians_bedroom_temperature:
    name: Min Fabian's bedroom temperature

min_small_bedroom_temperature:
    name: Min small bedroom temperature
    initial: 18

min_ioanas_bedroom_temperature:
    name: Min Ioana's bedroom temperature
    initial: 21

Hi, sorry for the delayed answer.
I have no idea how would that work.
My thermostat needs as input the switch to turn on/off the heater and (sensors and target temperature) pairs. Sensors will give it the reading of the temperature in a room, and the target temperature is usually an input_number that you will bind to a slider in GUI. From there you will set the desired temperature in that room. My thermostat will start/stop the heater switch in order to adjust room temperatures according to the value you set through the input_number (aka target temperature).

The ā€œheaterā€ can be any kind of switch, so yes, you could try to put here the switch from another thermostat. But the outcome of all these it really depends on how you use/combine them all together

Hi,
Thanks a lot for your reply. I will give it a try.

Kind regards,
Merc

To whom it may concern.
I made a replacement for a script I made in appdaemon which I had running before:

The replacement is an HA integration which allows to set up a link between the zone entities (TRVs) etc. to the thermostat entity.
Itā€™s a bit different compared to the version from Tipa, mostly since I wanted to use my existing thermostat rather than create a new thermostat entity, so it works more like an automation.

Anyone who thinks this is could be useful for them, feel free to check it out and use it (but at your own risk):

If you have troubles or miss things, please use the github issues section to discuss them.

2 Likes

There is a very nice solution on zone heating/ heatdemand avaiable for ioBroker.
heatdemand-control

perhaps this is adaptable to HA ā€¦

found the correspondend in HA: heatdemand

Hello Niel,
I have updated to version 1.01 but I am still having problems.

I have tried to let you know through github several times but I never got a reply.

Can you help us address this problem please ?

Guess I followed the installation step but the ā€žzonedā€¦ā€œ on add integration menu is missing.
Cache of chrome were deleted.

HA > settings > devices&services > add integration

Any hint what I do wrong, thanks.

could you please help me in how you installed the heating automamtion? I am not able to find the integration after copying the files to the dedicated folder ā€¦

After installing the component in the custom_components folder (HACS would do this for you), you need to restart HA and add it via the devices&services page.
If it doesnā€™t show up in the list, clear the browser cache.

sorry I didnā€™t reply in time. @neliss is correct. Install component, restart Home Assistant. Then direct to devices@services, add integration and add Zoned Heating! It works really nice for me, even with the latest updates. I have to tell you however, to save you time, that there is a cosmetic issue, still not addressed by author.
See github

Morning @neliss ! Iā€™m really liking the add on but Iā€™m struggling to get it to turn my main thermostat off when the connected radiator TRV has stopped requesting heat.

I put a bug on GitHub but maybe Iā€™m just doing something wrong and thereā€™s a step Iā€™ve missed? As you can see in the video on the bug, it works flawlessly to turn the thermostat on but apparently not to turn it off?

Cheers

Is this project still maintained?

Itā€™s the only one I can find that fits my use case where I have TRVs that need to call for heat from a main thermostat but it doesnā€™t seem to work for me, see my comment above.

Iā€™m not that well versed on home assistant integrations but Iā€™ll try look through my logs and the code, see if I can submit a PR. Otherwise Iā€™ll have to try and recreate this integration in automations.

Cheers!

would be interested in an working multi zone heating with heating demand to zentral thermostat as well. If someone knows of an working solution belase let me know.
Thanks.

something lke wirtten on page 10 on following document: Heat demand control in the ems-esp adapter